$1000 Spielberg needs YOU!

Hey guys

Most of you know I'm locked into my project to make a commercially successful movie, with only a $1000 budget.

And, that I'm writing an epic blog called $1000 Spielberg where I'm explaining exactly how we're doing this.

Anyway, James and I are really interested in any tips you have for making a movie on a $1000.

You can either post them here and we'll copy and paste them or if you want to write an article you can email it to me via the contact page on the site

(say you've ideas on how to get the best out of DV, or how to get free post production, or how to get a free killer sound track -- whatever great ideas you've got)

We'd love to hear your thoughts, because even though we've got lots of ideas, we're well aware that we don't know everything -- and if we're going to achieve this we're going to need all the help we can get.

Thanks in advance!

One excellent way to save cash is to find Public Domain music over at archive.org. There's tons of modern PD music there that isn't just 'out of copyright', a lot of users there are creating new material just to post it to the PD.

I've always used PD music in all my features (Except for BC5 where I licensed one tune, but that was the ONLY exception).

I've posted voluminously on some of these topics...please feel free to post my content here if you find it useful Clive. Either from here, other boards or my website (or yours for that matter ;) ).

Hey Clive, I think we spoke way back when we first signed onto Indietalk. Anyhow, I'd love The Crystal Plumage to collaborate or contribute some sound design or some tracks to the score portion. Sounds like a great project to get involved in. Feel free to check out our Download page for tracks cleared and ready to roll at http://www.crystalplumagemusic.com We've been working on trailers and elements lately up the wazoo! and are looking to upload more tracks onto the Download page this week when we get a breather! Talk to you.
Patrick

Hey, a big thanks to everyone so far.

And yes, music is definitely one of the things on our list -- we have some ideas, of course, but we're very open to talking to everyone about this.

Drop me an email, via the site, if you don't mind -- that way James gets it as well!

Thanks all -- and Spatula -- man, if I had it, you know it would be yours! LOL

By the way -- we're also open to any questions anyone has -- a big part of this process is about sharing information, good practice, great ideas -- we just want people to get a lot from the site.

We've already been blown away by the response so far -- we're getting a lot of hits and I'm getting a regular flow of emails.

We're very excited about the whole thing.

Actually, if you wanted to contribute any thoughts about the Toronto Film festival and how a film maker can stand out and get the most at it -- that would be uber cool!

Good idea! LOL.

Ok- learn the faces of the programmers. They pick the films. My theory is, if they ever meet you and remember your face, it will be familiar when the movie gets submitted. Familiarity is good, no?
They introduce alot of their films, so try and catch them at one of those. They might be running between shows, so it's a narrow window. The festival sprawls the city at several chains- Steven Gravestock (programmer for contemporary Canadian films... he looks like Johnny Depp in 20 years) would always be running to the cinema so he'd have enough time to have a smoke (he always had a smoke). I'd talk to him during that time. Even though he won't remember my name, if he saw a movie I was in, he'd be like- I know that guy.

As for at the fest, most filmmakers had a publicist. A lot of publicists did multiple films, but I don't know if thier just picked up from the same companies, or if TIFF provides them. Either way, you want one of them. Make sure you have extra tickets- give them out to rush lines, to get movie-lovers into your seats, or give them to industry people. You'll notice them by the passes.

I'd stage a publicity stunt- something for the premiere screening intro. Have it use a theme from your film. Borat showed up being carried on a carriage drawn by work-women. It got a lot of press.

With the kind of movie I think you might be going for, you're programmer will most likely be Colin Geddes (Midnight Madness). Colin's a great guy, very knowledgable of cool underground flicks, and is impressed by content over quality of image, if you know what I mean. He'll see your viral film and go nuts. Those screenings attact young crowds mostly, fans of the cool and unique, so give them some sort of live payoff with some kind of stunt. The trick is not making it cheesy.

There are also advanced screenings for press and industry- the more buzz you have going in, the more interest. What I would do, is as soon as you get accepted, is hire a posting company to distribute posters around Toronto, with a cryptic and alluring ad. Follow it up right before the festival with the same ad, only now advertising your movie. Advertise on all the online Toronto forums (when you need a list, I know a few). You probably won't get a lot of people to come, but if one person is searching specifically for it, they'll find a lot of content, so it just makes your prescene in Toronto more widespread.

Then, I'd work my ass off to fill the seats before the film starts. Go outside, give tickets to Rush lines (try and allure them from whatever other movie to see yours, with a free ticket)- you can even give it to the rush staff person, and they'll do it for you (I was an outside rep, and had to do it a lot).
I've seen screenings where maybe we would admit 14 people, in a 9:00am block. And ten of them were with the filmmaker's party. I don't know how to not get shafted on the schedule though- I'd just be wary of any slot before Noon.
The Parties- go to them. They are fun. Me and my friend snuck into the VIP section through a back stairwell of the Liberty Grande (a lush palace-like lot) courtyard. Donivan Bailey was there! Maybe he was looking to land a role in a film? Apparantly Lance Bass was there too, but I didn't run into him. Thank god, I hate Nsync. BSB for life.
Either way, it's free booze, and you meet people. I talked at length with Colin Geddes at the closing night staff party, about the movie S&Man, but I was perhaps a little too drunk remember. I do remember dropping my entire stack of business cards on the ground, and not grabbing them because I didn't want to spill my beer. TIFF throws the best parties. I can't stress that enough because everybody goes to the parties, so you want to be at the parties. It's a very laid back and friendly festival. Being polite and nice here works more than the agressive Hollywood system.
Just come here, go to the events, movies, parties- have a good time, have a publicity plan and agent, and just meet people and bring up your film. That's exactly what you have to do at TIFF. I guess the real challenge is staying sober enough to sell yourself. But really, just have a good time- that's what life's all about, and that's the best uber advice one can give.

BSB for life.

New kids all the way!

This is cool info...what stuff struck you the most there for publicity that would be cheap/free? Other than the networking portion...more of the stunt types of things? What did you see that didn't work?

Well, most of the publicity stunts were celebrities arriving in limos, to be honest. Borat was the only one I saw (well, on the news to be fair) that had any sort of shtick. But the director's from Austrailia (Suburban Madness) were distributing card-stock ads for their film/website.
A couple other films had advertising teams come in to distribute flyers to other films as they exited.
Anything that makes the film look like a hot item- maybe get a bunch of friends together and form a fake rush line at 9am. Two German oddballs came in to film some cartoonish segment for whatever reason, and were wearing umbrella hats and disco bow ties, etc. You get the point. Just bring big amounts of people to your film and get them to pay attention to something- celebrity, wierd costume, massive crowd, banners, celebrity, commotion, someone dripping themselves in whipcream while wearing a tinfoil helmet.
Well, not that low...

My theory is, if they ever meet you and remember your face, it will be familiar when the movie gets submitted. Familiarity is good, no?
Only if they don't remember how much they dislike you.. :lol:

Seriously though, I agree familiarity is good, so long as you've left a good impression on them.

Back