• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Zoom out of Monitor effect

Hi,

We are shooting a short this weekend and I would like some help regarding a scene in that short.

In the short, we see a flashback scene playing and as it plays, we zoom out to show that it is being played on a computer monitor while our character is watching the footage.

We haven't shot the flashback footage yet, so my only option would be to composite the footage later on.

What's the best way to achieve this shot?

Thanks

I did this effect in my music video. You can see it here around the 1:37 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZED3nBtLXc

I used just cut out the tv on Motion and keyframed the size of the cutout and monitor size with the speed of the zoom.

That's exactly what I am trying to achieve.

But I noticed that when the shot starts, you are only using a certain portion of the actual cut out. Should I start my shot by covering the actual portion of the monitor (instead of starting from the center) and then dolly out if I want to use my full cut out?

Did you follow any tutorial to achieve this?

@ Will Vincent

Thanks!

Should I start my shot by covering the actual portion of the monitor (instead of starting from the center) and then dolly out if I want to use my full cut out?

I'd do it exactly as you said you would. I'd probably try to fit the top and bottom of the monitor, in case the monitor is not widescreen. As you dolley out, shrink the main footage and blend the sides behind the monitor as you track. Maybe take another shot where you fit the sides before you dolley out. See which one works out better. But dolleying out from the center won't give you any reference point to work with, and you'll probably have one side of the tv come into frame and then another in no particular order, and I'm not sure how that would work out. I'd do it the way you described it.

Back