Zoom H2n?

Hi everyone, I'm just wondering what your opinions are of the Zoom audio recorders, or the H2n to be specific. Can the audio be done properly with a device like this? I mean would a feature film still get considered for festivals with audio done on a zoom? or is that a big no no?

Do you mean the Zoom H4n, maybe? :hmm:

That's very popular, right up with the Tascam DR 100 MK II, for lo-budget sound recording.

If you actually do mean the Zoom H2n recorder, I have one and it kinda blows for recording on set (No XLR jacks). I use it a lot for my v/o, though. It's good for that. :)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
hand-point-up-2.jpg

What he said

Although I wouldn't use it for VO, myself.

The H2 is a handy toy for down and dirty non-video interviews, and the odd sound effect. Not a serious filmmaking tool.

Do you mean the Zoom H4n, maybe? :hmm:

That's very popular, right up with the Tascam DR 100 MK II, for lo-budget sound recording.

If you actually do mean the Zoom H2n recorder, I have one and it kinda blows for recording on set (No XLR jacks). I use it a lot for my v/o, though. It's good for that. :)

No I did mean the Zoom H2n, its all I can afford really. I'm making the film more just for practice with some friends, but are there any tips or settings I could use with it to make the audio at least bearable?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The Tascam DR-40 - which has XLR inputs - is $142. Surely you can afford another $5.

A more solid build, better overall quality, and can be used with a good quality mixer in the future.

What mic(s) do you have?

All right, let's go back to the beginning.

What camera do you have? What type of project(s) will you be doing? Is this your hobby or your prospective career? How much experience do you have? Do you have access to any other resources? Is there anyone who can help you with sound? Do they have any audio gear?

The answers to these questions will determine which gear would be more appropriate for you.

For instance; if you want to pursue filmmaking as a hobby, you have zero other resources, zero experience and no one to help you I might recommend the Rode VideoMic. Okay, you're up to about $170, but the Rode VM is a top-notch consumer product - fairly forgiving sonically, well built, easy to use, and has a solid track record.

If you're looking at a career I may recommend other things.

Back