• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Zero budget Music Video (Robotz)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFpQStpZEWQ

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and just directed this music video. I shot in in 3 four-hour days.
I had no assistants & operated camera myself.

Budget: $0.

The artist is Thomas Franklin (aka Robotz), and he attends the Musician's Institute in Los Angeles.
He recorded this song when he was 17.

Equipment Used: Canon DSLR, iPhone 4s (with Olloclip three-in-one lens), Sony VX2100, various (cheap!) wide-angle lenses.

I edited this using iMovie HD (and iMovie 9 for the green-screen work).
Filmed on 1/1/12 & 1/2/12 at CSUF, GFHS, and Lake Mission Viejo.

Artist: Robotz
Song "I Am"
Camera/Edit/Director: Brenneman

Comments & suggestions are very welcome. Thanks!

Very creative and nice camera work/editing. You did well on this. Not really feeling the artist but you as director did a lot of good things with the video.

The only thing I could say maybe could've been different video wise is maybe that you could've done alot less. More simple and less different scenes, if that makes any sense. It gets a little distracting, but then again that is only my opinion.

Please keep up the good work

Very creative and nice camera work/editing. You did well on this. Not really feeling the artist but you as director did a lot of good things with the video.

The only thing I could say maybe could've been different video wise is maybe that you could've done alot less. More simple and less different scenes, if that makes any sense. It gets a little distracting, but then again that is only my opinion.

Please keep up the good work
Thank you for the kind words and input!

I might have done less (as you say), but so many videos these days are cut pretty quick, and I didn't want attention to drift. I drift during videos where they show the same thing from 5 different angles just because they have 5 cameras running.

Anyway, thanks again.

I stopped listening to rap before you were born. The video looks great. You did lots of excellent things, especially doing it by yourself.

I'll just say this, because it's the way I feel about videos, especially rap/hip hop videos. With the exception of the very first rap videos, the SAME THING happens in every single one. It's just a different rap over basically the same shots. Do something completely original. You do that (especially since you did this yourself) and you got gold.

I stopped listening to rap before you were born. The video looks great. You did lots of excellent things, especially doing it by yourself.

I'll just say this, because it's the way I feel about videos, especially rap/hip hop videos. With the exception of the very first rap videos, the SAME THING happens in every single one. It's just a different rap over basically the same shots. Do something completely original. You do that (especially since you did this yourself) and you got gold.

Thank you for the reply and kind words! I agree with your point about being original. Right now, I'm simply working on being competent. And since it was just the two of us, I did try to keep it simple. I'm lining up my next project, which may be in the gospel genre. I'm looking to continually get more and more ambitious and/or emotionally engaging.

I don't watch rap videos myself. Actually, don't most other rap videos these day have partiers partying, booty girls with car, and lots of ramp-up to slo-mo editing?

You stopped listening to rap in 1970?

No, mid 80s. Just most everyone is much younger then me.

I loved Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five (still the best IMO), Ice-T (funny as hell) and Public Enemy. That's where my rap story ends. Everyone else (except NWA and Snoop Dogg) started the rehash. To this day, no one has explained to me the real difference between rap and hip hop.

Competent does over ride original. So, you've got a great start. Looking forward to the gospel video. I like gospel. You know who performs great gospel songs (and she writes them) Dolly Parton. Really, she can raise the roof.

Back