Youtube Monetisation

Hi Guys,

Just a really quick question, I am currently producing an online video resource for people wishing to get into the video production industry, lost of interviews with professionals etc. I would like to use Youtube as the platform and also market the channel on Social Media.

I was just wondering if anyone has gone down the monetisation route and what fees you can get? Is it per view?

I have over 100 videos on my channel, but of the ones I have monetized, I have about ten that are my "heavy hitters". Three of those have over 100,000 views, the remaining 7 have more than 3000 views. I currently average between $100-$200 per month. The number you want to research is your CPM (cost per mil). The higher your CPM, the more you make. I'm not sure what drives the that number, but mine is currently $15. My account has only been monetized since Fall of 2012. The 100,000 view videos make between $30 and $50 a month for me. One of those is a feature film, the rest are a survival series that I host. Hope this helps
youtube.com/eldirectorvision

Last edited:
Side question: What's the minimum amount of revenue that is worth it for the bother of carrying ads?

I took ads off my videos when I realised that I was struggling to make $5. They make the videos look cluttered and contribute to people clicking off. So how much makes it worth it?

Side question: What's the minimum amount of revenue that is worth it for the bother of carrying ads?

I took ads off my videos when I realised that I was struggling to make $5. They make the videos look cluttered and contribute to people clicking off. So how much makes it worth it?

I agree.
It doesn't add to the viewer experience.
I guess you should jump in when you suddenly go viral or notice a steady stream of a 1000 a day?

One thing I would suggest is seeking out a partnership with a network. Granted this is usually dependent on how many views you get. Getting a network partnership will get you SIGNIFICANTLY more money per view. Even though the Network will take a chunk of that money, you're still making way more.

And unless you're getting 100,000+ views, the money won't be much. I have one monetized video with 250,000+ views and that's the main thing bringing in money. Everything else is just a few dollars here and there.

You can still find other creative ways to make money if you develop the audience, such as selling merch. So I still find it a worthy venture to take, even if you're not making much initially. It's a great way to develop an audience and that can do wonders.

I started just making a few cents a day, I had like 200 subscribers at the time. But I monetized anyway, just in case. After a year of not much happening, I saw a sudden increase and went from a few cents to a few dollars per day over the course of a month. I did nothing different or new, it just happened. People began finding and watching my stuff. Now I'm almost to 6k subscribers, so I'd say it's worth it. If someone doesn't like seeing ads, they can get an ad blocker.

I would also disagree about partnering with networks. I had a few that offered to let me join, but their CPMs were 11 or 12, whereas I'm getting 15. They CAN be helpful, sure, but sometimes you will do better on your own, even if you don't have millions of views.

Some of the biggest things that determine the CPM rate and something you need to take into account are:

Length of videos, consistency of videos being uploaded, the amount of subscribers you have, the demographic your audience/videos falls under, and (a big one that most people would never think makes a difference) does your video encourage longer viewing sessions on youtube (via a playlist or serialized content)

Back