Your "real" job

Professional athlete, shoot in the off-season and edit during season...cause all you want to do with your free time is sit on your ass anyway....

it seems stupid, but my day job is a debt collector, and i feel it actually helps with my filmmaking cause it hleps to give you a steel reserve, build up a tolerance for people yelling, controling conversations and stuff like that, although the job sucks and i hate doing this kind of work it does have a side benefits for my real profession.

Shaw said:
And I bet it keeps you from being overly tempted to get into debt over film as well ;)

it does make me realize how much the credit card companies rape you in fees. so using them is a very very last resort

Freelancer. It's tough because you're out of work a lot of the time. The trick is instead of saying you're unemployed, just say you're on vacation. And never stop looking for that next job.

When I first got my start, I went to the local community college's video production guy and volunteered to help him with his projects, then when the local news company needed someone for their studio crew I got recommended. The moral is: sometimes working for free now will pay off later.

Hmm where to begin... I drive a school bus Monday-Friday morning and afternoon (with a nice 4 hour break between), go to school full time nights.. almost every night of the week, Work part time as a DJ at a nightclub on Friday nights, AND own my own web design business, which I will be expanding and changing the name to encompass all media, and not just web design, thereby creating a legit "production company" for myself. That'll happen when I get off my butt and go down town to fill out some paperwork. ;)

i'm a student so i guess that's my job for now, but give me a few years.... oh and on weekends i clean a 2 stoey office building with my friend

Just go to www.TVjobs.com, and search for some jobs there if you want. You will need a username and password, but I can hook you up just email me, and i'll give you the info. It's only like $20 a year. But to save money, just email me saying you want it. well thats my speal sorry for the mini book. Good Luck

Sorry peeps i can't hook anyone up anymore my membership is cancelled, and I don't need to renew it. Sowwy.

I'm a TV Producer at a PBS station. Not the most Glamorous job, but has access to some great equipment. :)

work

Scud said:
So, assuming you don;t have a job pertaining to film. What is the next best job to have while being able to get movies done in spare time?

Web Sites and I hate it arrrrggggggg damn buttons are not working on this site for a production companys site. have a look see its just the test site BLU

after reading through all the previous posts, i'm humbled in saying that i actually make a living as an editor at an offline boutique. enough to raise a family even.
kvl

Working in IT pays the mortgage and feeds the family. IT is a comedy goldmine that I plan to exploit at some point ...

Mortgage Lender. Lots of time and no money. Used to be a race car driver that paid as well as making movie shorts... But equally expensive and dangerous.

I also sell rare games and stuff on ebay to pass the time, and occasionally sell used cars!!

Back