YOUR Favorite Camera?

So I've asked before about what the next step up from my DSLR was and most people responded with "A better DSLR"

Now I've got a more general question, what camera maker do you like the most? Is it Canon? Nikon? Blackmagic?

Also, what model is your primary model? I'm loyal to my Rebel T3i, although I'm attracted to the GH4, or something big like the Sony FS700.

I've heard the Blackmagic Cinema is only good for setup shots, not good for, say, documentary filming.

So what's your Camera of choice?

All I do is narrative. I do like the Black Magic cameras, the Canon Cameras (5d, 7d, c100) and the Red Cameras (Scarlet, Epic). Hoping to get experience with the Alexa cameras and the Sony Range of cameras.

I do own a t3i but have yet used it for a production (outside some BTS stills).

That all being said, it never ends well (at least in recent times) with me operating the camera. I'm probably not the best person to talk with regarding cameras.

I'm shopping for a T3i at the moment if you feel like giving yours up cheap? :D

Seriously though would you recommend it as a good camera for some narrative shorts? I've also been looking at the t5i though from my research it doesn't look like there's all that much difference between the two, and the model isn't nearly as important as lenses, lighting, how you use it, etc.

What's prompting your upgrade? Just time for something different?

feel like giving yours up cheap?

I'll check with the minister for war and finance... She says no.

Seriously though would you recommend it as a good camera for some narrative shorts?

As I said, I've never used it in a production. I've always had access to better cameras attached with people who knew how to operate them.

the model isn't nearly as important as lenses, lighting, how you use it

Very, very true.

i've owned the canon t2i and still use it for some secondary angles when necessary. it's an amazing camera and kendy has made multiple shorts worthy of vimeo picks using that with a single lens. i think the best films come out of very passionate filmmakers with limited gear. these films have the most life, the most depth, and a sense of grit that can't be replicated.

the t2i is also very cheap.

other than that, i'd check out the Samsung nx1, does 8bit 4k internally (i've never noticed a huge difference in grading between 10bit and 8bit anyway) on an APS-C sensor. I currently own a 6D but personally, i think full frame for video is a pain in the ass; getting anything in focus while either the camera, or the subject, or BOTH are moving, is damn near impossible at anything below f/8. the image is great from my 6D but it takes a lot of adjustment and fine tuning to get it looking that way. and that's for every location/scene/setting.

images from the 6D (rough color, natural lighting):

EDIT: i'm basing my response on what i actually own, and then what i can actually afford in the next 3-6 months :D

Last edited:
Lately I've been working a lot with Black Magic 4k Cinema, excellent camera that gives me brilliant footage for post (being a colorist, I greatly enjoy the depth of this camera).

This past month I was forced to use a Sony EX1, absolutely amazing picture... but I hate the camera's interface and layout.

Arri Alexa is fun, but I'd never rent or buy one. I personally like the Red Epic cameras for anything with a budget to rent. Or perhaps rent a Sony a7s if it doesn't have much quick movement in the script.

I started out with a Canon T2i and ditched it for Panasonic GH cameras. I couldn't stand the T2i's lack of video-centric features (e.g., the 12 minute limit, no video autofocus, no headphone jack).

I now shoot with the GH4, the Blackmagic Pocket and my Panasonic TM900 camcorder.

My dream is to sell all of these compromise cameras for a combination of all 3 - e.g., a 4K large sensor, interchangeable lens camcorder with XLR inputs that records internally to a gradeable 10-bit codec and/or RAW - perhaps the Blackmagic URSA or a Sony FS7 (although I am very tempted by the JVC GY-LS300's ability to crop its sensor to match just about any lens ever made, despite its 8-bit h.264 codec).

Last edited:
The digital cameras/camcorders I've shot on include the Canon XL1s, Canon GL1, Canon 60D, Canon 7D, Panasonic DVX100 and 100B, Panasonic HVX200, Panasonic GH3, Sony PD150 and Sony PD170.

With these cameras as a reference point to what I've worked with, I prefer the Canon 60D for DSLR, The GH3 for mirrorless, and the DVX100B for ENG-style camcorder. In my fantasy world there would be a camera that had the body of the DVX with interchangeable lenses that captured onto SDHC cards for under $2k. Since that's a pipedream I usually recommend the 60D and the GH3.

The URSA does look like a fantastic camera for the price.

My problems with the T3i include:

-recording stopping after four seconds on random occasions
-13 minute max recording length manking time lapses difficult
-60fps only while at 1080x720p
-lack of headphone jack input
-also I have this weird personal thing that any DSLR doesn't look professional enough.. Despite performance I'd love a big camera that people would think is more expensive at first glance....

But it's still a great camera. I'm filming my first commercial with it on Wednesday.

-13 minute max recording length manking time lapses difficult

stop shooting timelapse this way, use the magic lantern fps override, built in intervalometer, or buy yourself an intervalometer, you'll be much happier for too many reasons to list-if you want some timelapse tips, pm me and we'll chat more

i shoot all my timelapse on my t3i, which i definitely love. i think a 5diii with magic lantern would do the trick for me in any photo/video situation. also i have dreams of the a7s

i doubt i'll deviate anytime soon from canon as i love magic lantern, but for lenses i shoot on old nikons for affordable quality

Last edited:
If I had to pick a favourite, probably the Alexa. Amira's are cool but it hasn't impressed me enough to take over Alexa except for very specific jobs.
I also quite like the Sony F5 for its size and weight, and the quality vs price point.

Reality is, I choose what is right for the story, logistics and budget of the production. I currently own an A7s with a number of lenses and accessories and I love it.
But it's not right for everything. In the work that I do, it's not right for a lot of it, but it serves as a hell of a B cam..

Now, if you wanted to talk least favourite... I'd probably say just about any camera made by Blackmagic ;)

That being said, any camera in the right hands will work okay, and look good.

I've never hit upon a camera that I've really hated, though I've never quite got used to the image on most DSLRs. I've shot with 550D and 5D mkII and, meh. The cameras I've shot the most on – Sony FS100 and Canon C100 – I really like. Would love to shoot more with the Canon C300 and the Sony F5 but time will tell. Because I'm not a massive gearhead, I always consider cameras like the Alexa and think of all the logistical issues they'd create, and that overrides my artistic desire to use them.

One quick question – I need to buy an upgrade to my camera. At the moment I'm hiring and borrowing, but the situation is massively slowing down my work and I have some cash available. I want to buy my own C100 but I'm aware that the C100 mkII is just out. What, in your opinion, would be a good price for the C100 new? And used?

I bought a C100 just before Christmas as part of a corporate gig I was doing, but it was someone else's money and I wasn't so worried about getting the best possible deal (+ the mkII hadn't been released), but now I want to avoid spending my money if I can!

What, in your opinion, would be a good price for the C100 new? And used?

I bought a C100 just before Christmas as part of a corporate gig I was doing, but it was someone else's money and I wasn't so worried about getting the best possible deal (+ the mkII hadn't been released), but now I want to avoid spending my money if I can!

As far as I can tell, they're still £3417 in the UK. For that price, you can buy a round trip plane ticket to the States and get one for less money.

After last week's massive price drop, they are $2999 brand new from Adorama in NYC.

As far as I can tell, they're still £3417 in the UK. For that price, you can buy a round trip plane ticket to the States and get one for less money.

After last week's massive price drop, they are $2999 brand new from Adorama in NYC.

There's available in the UK for around £2800, with some add-ons thrown in, which is more expensive than in the US, for sure (though I don't think it'd be cheaper to buy a plane ticket). Plus, if I were to buy new, I'd be doing that in order to get a UK warranty if things going wrong, and I wouldn't have the assurance importing from the US.

But I'm not convinced £2800 is a great price, because they must have quite a lot of stock and how many people are buying new C100s at the moment?

This past month I was forced to use a Sony EX1, absolutely amazing picture... but I hate the camera's interface and layout.

:lol:
You make it sound like waterboarding ;)

I own an EX1R: back then a great improvement on the EX1.
The interface is pretty much how cameras where build before the DSLR revolution :P
With the right settings it still produces a great picture.

I use it less often nowadays, but it depends on the project.
I really love the images a C300 makes :)
But I also use A7s, GH4, C100 cameras (when I use the MoVI M5 these 3 are the cameras to use IMHO)

I just upgraded from a Canon T2I to a GH4, I shoot a lot of music Videos, Concerts and Night Clubs
I haven't fully used the GH4 as of yet so I have to say my fav camera is still my T2I ( been shooting with it for 4 years, Was my first camera.)

I've shot with a FS700 and sometimes do on shoots, I love the images it gives out so crisp.

Back