Younger Directors?

Hello,

About six months ago I made the decision of wanting to go into film making. Since then I have bought an HD camera, equipment, computers, and all the necessities to create a decent film, and I have been having fun doing so. I have some ideas for a short film that I would want to make, but there is one problem. I am not even an adult. (Not sure If I can post my age here, I am between 16 and 19)This leaves me puzzled as to how I would hire people to use the filming equipment, and act. Being this young, would older people take me seriously?

Thanks.

Well, I'm only 17, too. I stared filmmaking when I was like 12 and did some stuff with my friends, nothing really big. When I was 15 I got together with a director who was at the time 20 I think. And we hired pretty professional actors. They later told us that they were feeling a bit like in a kindergarten when they first came on set an saw all the young people. However, after a few hours, they noticed that we pretty much know what we are doing and they started to accept us as director and director of photography.
When I made my first movie without the other guy and started hirering actors together with a friend who's the same age as I am. And at that time we alrealy had made some films and the actors could see that we actually knew what we were doing.
So I think when you have something to show off, it's not as hard to find good actors, even if you are still young. However, as this is your first movie, you might want to do some movies with other people from your area. See if there's anyone near to you that likes filmmaking as much as you do and who maybe has some more experience. Learning from others is always great!

Here’s the link to the movie I made when I was 16.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjLQy3CXFAk

I found the key to getting people to take me seriously at that age
was to DO, not talk. A lot of my friends had some ideas for short
films. I learned to write a script in the proper format and wrote
a short film.

Before I made this movie I had made about 15 short films. None
were very good, but it showed that I was serious. When I
approached the parents of the kids in the movie I showed them
several of my films, the script and a shooting schedule - I had
even made arrangements for my mom to pick up the kids and take
them back home and told them we would feed them a nice lunch.

They took me seriously.

What can YOU do to show older people that you are serious?

So I should make them think that I am a pro at this by showing them my other works, and I should setup schedules, scripts, and other stuff?

I like your video directorik, looks like something straight out of an old movie. :)

Thanks to both of you.

So I should make them think that I am a pro at this by showing them my other works, and I should setup schedules, scripts, and other stuff?

Not exactly. You aren't trying to make people think you're a pro. You
want to show actors and crew that you take the process of making a
movie seriously and that you respect the time and dedication they
are giving you.

When you approach older people they are going to be skeptical - because
most kids your age aren't very serious. You want to have a script for them
to read and a shooting schedule so they understand that you ARE serious.

Back