Young filmmaker looking for advice.

Hey guys I'm a 17 high school senior, and am looking for filmming advice. I been making short films for about a year now with one of those handheld cheap camcorders. I know that since i can'm make a film in video qualty, i try to make the film better by with my editing and filmming skills.
I'm just wondering if you guys can look at a few of my movies and help me to be a better filmmaker.

Delta 62:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBnRGzdz0AQ

The Mega Club:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCU7Q_1OT-o

Subterfuge (*was made with a different/better camera*)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIqBfNcw2cE

thanks guys. I'm loving this site, and should be on it quite a bit.

Trevor

Hello Trevor.

I wouldn't say that you guys are doing anything wrong. You're picking up a camera, making up stories, and making movies. Nothing wrong with that at all. I hear alot of people talk about the movies they plan to make, or want to make. Cheers to you for actually doing it!

As for feedback -- your editing seems solid. I also like your choices in music (even though I suspect you don't have permission to use all selections???). My suggestion would be to continue to do what you are doing and you will learn plenty of ways to improve your game. It will just become apparent as you continue. Typically, you'll find these opportunities when you are trying to edit the movie, and you realize that you didn't get the shot you need, or something about the shot you DID get sucks. That's when you make that mental note...for next time.

I would make this suggestion -- try to find actors who fit the character roles, or write stories that fit the actors you have available. Watching high school age kids on a secret mission with guns and kidnapping...doesn't really fly on a serious level. But as I said, its great practice and fun!

Hi Trevor.

First off, let me congratulate you on having completed several short films. The more you do it the better you'll get, as filmmaking is one of those things that no matter how much you study and learn about the various crafts involved, not actually putting the techniques to practice will prevent you from being able to do it, or at least do it well.

I know you said you were working with a fairly cheap handycam type of camera. Really the camera itself is irrelevant, it's more about what you do with the camera. I did notice several significant video drop outs in both Delta 62 and the Mega Club. It's most likely due to dirty heads, so running a head cleaning tape through the camera would be a good idea. It should be a semi-regular maintenance practice anyway.

The audio is totally out of sync in the Mega Club video, and seemed like it was lagging a few frames late in Delta 62. Also the exposure on both of these wasn't ideal. They both seemed over exposed, and there was at least one shot in the Mega club that had a drastic exposure adjustment, going from totally blown out to "normal". If you can't manually adjust your exposure on that camera, using an ND (neutral density) filter or two to decrease (stop down) the amount of light coming in may help.

Subterfuge had the opposite problem, as it was all shot at night with presumably no additional lighting other than the onboard camera light everything just looked off. Nearly every shot in Subterfuge seemed to run a bit slow, and they all felt a tad on the long side. You also could have cut down the amount of driving shots. The basic rule of thumb is that in a short film we don't have time to see person A get up, walk across the room, down the stairs, down the hall, out the door, etc.. to get to their car, then get in start the car, drive, park, get out, walk into the coffee shop, order a drink, sit down, meet person B, talk, plan out the rest of the day, then move on... Unless the whole story is just about a trip to the coffee shop but even so some of that stuff could be cut out. Instead, we see where they start, and where they end up -- because it's a short film. Unless there is a particular story motivated reason to see the entire journey. I know you chopped out a lot of what you probably shot for driving footage, but more could go without affecting the story.

Also, the on-camera light really killed a lot of the shots, as people would start out in darker areas and move into the light or vice-versa. A better way to go about it would be to light the entire scene, and then decrease the overall brightness in post.

Basically the only practical audio I noticed was the muffled scream at the end. With mostly (or perhaps entirely) music as the rest of the audio it felt a little out of place. Lowering the audio level of the music and adding sound effects for everything happening on screen (and off screen) would go a long way to making it a much stronger piece.

Also you crossed the line in subterfuge at least once, this is generally a no-no, as it throws off the viewers orientation of the scene and can confuse them and worst case scenario take their mind completely out of the story.. Since the whole point is to tell a story, you have to do whatever you can to make the cuts invisible, and not crossing the line is a big help. There were also a few cuts in Delta 62 that were a bit jarring. It's always best to cut on action, so when your character runs a few steps and stops to look around, then it cuts and nothing is recognizable in the scene and he starts running again it feels awkward.

Other than that.. as John said -- you're on the right track. You're actually getting out there and shooting stuff, which is half the battle.

If filmmaking is something you're serious about as a hobby or potential career, start building up your study library with some of the materials I mentioned in this thread, and you'll be that much better equipped for virtually everything.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Will and spinner, every word you are saying i'm burning into my head.lol

As i mentioned above, My idol is David Lehre (do you know who i'm talking about? if not search youtube). He is somebody that is trying to get his generation interested in film. He's a success story, and i hope to be like him.

Yeah Will, the issues surrounding the audio/video of Delta and Mega are the camera...Sadly the camera i was using for both wasn't even a handycam! The camera i have been using is a $89 apex handheld thingy, and I just use Windows Movie Maker to edit my films....haha

I know this might seem like "wow, not as into filmming as one thought", but trust me I am...i can't wait till college so i can get my hands on better equipment!lol
as for now, i'm just trying to make the best film possible with the stuff i got.

thanks for the help guys, if anybody else would like to say something, PLEASE do, i want as much advice as i can get! thanks!

Trevor

Yeah Will, the issues surrounding the audio/video of Delta and Mega are the camera...Sadly the camera i was using for both wasn't even a handycam! The camera i have been using is a $89 apex handheld thingy, and I just use Windows Movie Maker to edit my films....haha

I know this might seem like "wow, not as into filmming as one thought",
but trust me I am...i can't wait till college so i can get my hands on better equipment!lol
as for now, i'm just trying to make the best film possible with the stuff i got. Trevor

To this I say: so what? It has been said before, I'll say it again. Its not the camera, its the operator. Do what you can with what you have and get better. Then when you can afford to get something better, upgrade.

Here's the thing: what will your camera do? What kind of creativity do you have, to make your film look like something cool? So, maybe you won't shoot Lord of the Rings on it. But Lehre's stuff isn't LOTR either. (it is pretty funny however, the thing about the squirrels is pretty good).

The point is, do something with what you have. Come up with something people have never seen before. Who's going to make squirrels the important part of a film? And some people here will smile at that, because "Killer Squirrel" is something done by and IndieTalker :yes:

...what's with the squirrels y'all???

-- spinner :cool:

I agree, the equipment is never as important as what's done with it. In fact, I applaud you for making use of what you have available. When we start putting off getting started until we have the best gear -- we never start. ;) I speak from experience, having put off my filmmaking desires for a good 15 years or so.

But, in the meantime, get yourself some study materials, and start working on everything one item at a time. Suppose you choose audio, shoot something and put as much effort as possible into making the audio sparkle in every way you can.. when you feel you've made progress there, pick another thing. Keep going like this until you get through everything you need to improve on, and then cycle back through it all again, and again, and again.. eventually you'll get to a point where most of it comes naturally. I don't think anyone will ever get to a point where there's nothing to improve on though.

Oh, the other thing that'd be good is to start assembling a team of people you like to work with, and figure out what everyones strengths is. Let each person focus on a portion of each production that they are stronger at -- one runs the camera, one does sound, etc -- that will help you to progress as a whole in a swifter manner.

Anyway, I'm rambling, so I'll stop. :)

Back