yellow lines in footage.

I am having strange yellow bands in my footage from my GH2 camera:
yellow_line.jpg

link

I get a lot more yellow bands when I'm inside but I presumed that was just from fluorescent lighting. But this was shot in the day time with just the sun lighting it. I also did a pixel refresh (inside the house if this makes a difference - I don't know how pixel refresh works) before shooting this.

The only patch I've applied is to take off the time limits and ISO limits.

I'm worried I've ruined my camera somehow!

It doesn't always happen as this one shows:
no_banding.jpg

link

Settings: 24p creative mode, shutter speed 50, WB: sun, iso: auto. Film mode: smooth

Last edited:
yellow band

I've seen these on Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/17281822 http://vimeo.com/18504250

Which I'm interpreting as meaning that in low light if you force the shutter speed to be 1/50 then tough, you will get a yellow band across your footage.

Hence the only answer I can see is that in low light to either manually set the shutter speed to something like 1/30 or let the camera decide shutter speed.

Now the reason I got the GH2 was to shoot movies at 24p. And DSLRs are supposed to be good in low light.
At 24p the recommended shutter speed is 1/50 or above.

So this is a major problem with the GH2 rendering it pretty useless for making movies!

Should I just return it to Amazon and buy a Canon 600D (T3i) instead? Thoughts?

Last edited:
Update

Doh! Now that I know the band is there, I went back over my previous footage and I can see the band in most footage that's got shadow in it!! It mostly appears as a dark band.

Looks like the only solution if I continue with this camera and keep to 24p 1/50 is to remove the band with post processing.

Does anyone know how to remove this band, for example, using Sony Vegas? I imagine it would involve creating some sort of mask and either turning down the yellow channel on the mask or boosting the other channels?

I think I might be passed my 30 days for returns policy with Amazon.

Otherwise the other solution is to just shoot at 1/30 fps and just live with blurry footage. :(

My suspician is that it's faulty electronics not recording enough BLUE on one of the lines so on bluey grey things it appears as a dark yellow line.

Maybe I will sell my GH2 to someone who likes photography and get a Cannon T3i/600d.

Last edited:
Back