XPPro32bit--too late to purchase+...?

I am now _very_ close to putting in my order for my video workstation. The OS of choice is XP Pro 32 bit.

i)PURCHASE:

I am starting to become anxious, as I have recently read that XP (PRO)is no longer being sold by Microsoft. If so, then I am screwed, as I do not wish to use Vista, and there seems to be no other viable alternative in the windows platform.

Can someone here in the film world set me straight on the continued consumer/shop front and/or reseller (channel) provision of XP Pro 32 bit or otherwise? And if still available, for how long?

ii)NETWORK:

I am setting up a network of 3 computers--

+ main machine (video editing-contains the XP Pro 32bit OS)
+ download-only machine (WIN 2000 OS)
+ printing/scanning, digital graphics machine. (XP [not PRO] in a foreign language)

What problems can I anticipate with this set-up, if any? And solutions to these?

Thanks.

XP64 runs 32bit software and 64bit software simultaneously, and it's a much more supported, stable, and lower overhead system than vista -- and a better option than regular 32bit XP64.

Keep in mind a lot of the people who comment at Newegg aren't necessarily as smart as they want to sound. ;)

Hmmm...this is invaluable information-thanks.I am slowly coming to the realisation that the great part of my research which relied on my long-term friend's knowledge may not have been such a good thing.

To be fair, he doesn't work with video editing on a daily basis, & I would say that his level of knowledge in this is good but...well, his knowledge in the past has been suitable for my simple requirements/solutions, so...

I would also add that I have had my proposed configuration (both stand alone box & with network) 'put up' for evaluation on one or two other related sites, and have been told that things were ok. As well, I took the proposed configuration (for standalone box) to a friend who _does_ work in the indie film scene, and who works during his day job as a hands-on manager in the technical/computer section of a major US institution. He is 'driven' when it comes to all things technical/computing. He thought that my configuration was acceptable. His own system uses XP PRO 32bit. I do remember that he did mention some situation or an oversight he had with the 32bit that would require him going to 64bit, and for me to avoid the same situation.

Last edited:
I do remember that he did mention some situation or an oversight he had with the 32bit that would require him going to 64bit, and for me to avoid the same situation.
There's just no good reason not to, especially if you intend to work with large amounts of data (video, audio, large photoshop images, etc) because being able to access more memory is tantamount.

True, most of the software is still 32bit at this point, but that is changing. Photoshop cs4 is 64bit, and premiere & after effects, while 32 bit, will launch multiple instances each able to address ~4gig of ram for rendering...

32bit work fine, sure, but it's a dead end road.. better to put your money toward something that will be usable for longer.

There's just no good reason not to, especially if you intend to work with large amounts of data (video, audio, large photoshop images, etc) because being able to access more memory is tantamount.

True, most of the software is still 32bit at this point, but that is changing. Photoshop cs4 is 64bit, and premiere & after effects, while 32 bit, will launch multiple instances each able to address ~4gig of ram for rendering...

32bit work fine, sure, but it's a dead end road.. better to put your money toward something that will be usable for longer.

Without doubt, your point is valid.

There's the situation where the 32bit will be supported--or at least available via OEM or already installed on new machines, and in some cases, available for downgrade--until 2014, according to a number of reports.

Also, within this context, I have to wonder if XP PRO 64bit falls within the parameters? If XP per se is eventually going the way of the dodo, then surely XP 64bit will also be affected? This is a key point.

Given the success of XP (PRO), I can't see many who have it readily trading up to WIN7 which will be the OS of "choice". But this yet largely remains an unknown.

So, essentially, we have a situation where there's generally increasing movement toward 64bit, the 'stay of execution' for XP 32-and 64bit, and an unknown quantity in XP's replacement?

You really need to focus on what you need today and stop losing sleep over what you need tommorrow, which is an unknown. It doesn't matter what you buy. It will be obsolete in six months or less anyway. But even if obsolete, if it runs the programs you need to stay productive, then it doesn't matter. 64-bit operating systems have been around for several years now, but look how long it took for mainstream applications to catch up.

When Microsoft drops security support for XP, that's when you need to worry about it. And as you discovered it will be several years yet.

The only alternatives for PC right now are XP and Vista (or Linux). And I already told you my opinion of Vista.

I still run Premiere Pro 2.0 and After Effects 7. I don't need a 64-bit OS for those nor do I need more than 2-3GB of memory for standard definition. What I assembled over two years ago is still viable for what I need today.

Last edited:
I agree with Will and Thom 98. I wasn't aware that NewEgg or Amazon had copies of XP for sale and if you are going to buy and use a Microsoft OS, you'll definitely want to purchase the 64-bit version for you'll be thankful when the 64-bit versions of the software you use do come to light. And what most people mean when they say "it doesn't work on the 64-bit version of Windows" is they are trying to run a 32-bit program in a 64-bit operating system and they aren't seeing any "improvement in speed" or the program crashes because the user tried to run it natively (in 64-bit) when the program needs to be run in compatibility mode as Thom 98 suggested. Compatibility mode isn't just for older programs that won't run in XP or Vista natively, it's also for 32-bit programs that won't run on a 64-bit OS natively no matter which version of Windows you have (Vista or XP seeings how they are the only two consumer 64-bit Windows OS's).

And honestly, if you're looking short term, I'd go XP in either 32- or 64-bit and upgrade later to Windows 7. If you're looking for a long term solution, I'd wait til windows 7 comes out later this year or get a copy of Vista 64-bit, run everything in compatibility mode for now, and hope Microsoft follows through with it's "free upgrade from Vista to 7" plan that has the computer world a buzz.

For those who don't know, a lot of people complained about how bad Vista sucked and now they are rushing to get Windows 7 (which is supposed to fix everything and be a lot better) to replace Vista and now business and schools are complaining that they just finally bit the bullet and bought Vista because it is just now at a stable condition and now 7 is coming out in mere months... After much blog and forum talk, Microsoft hinted they might have a solution for the problem and stated they agreed with a certain blogger who started a petition for Microsoft to make 7 a free upgrade for legally licensed Vista users. We'll see.

I'm also doubtful that an upgrade from Vista to 7 will be free as well, but that's what the computing world seems to whole-heartedly believe will happen.

As far as I'm concered Microsoft will make it available at the same $80 upgrade price they've always used. I don't have much faith in Microsoft.

I do wishe they would take a hint from Apple and make it a $10 upgrade like Apple did iLife & iWork '09. while those software suits are no where near as valuble as an operating system, if Microsoft is gonna put one out every three or four years, it might as well be the same principal.

I'm also doubtful that an upgrade from Vista to 7 will be free as well, but that's what the computing world seems to whole-heartedly believe will happen.

As far as I'm concered Microsoft will make it available at the same $80 upgrade price they've always used. I don't have much faith in Microsoft.

I do wishe they would take a hint from Apple and make it a $10 upgrade like Apple did iLife & iWork '09. while those software suits are no where near as valuble as an operating system, if Microsoft is gonna put one out every three or four years, it might as well be the same principal.

Although, now I think about it.. I'm pretty sure the upgrade to XPPro64 was free initially after its release, provided you returned your copy of XPPro32 to them.. I seem to recall having read something along those lines not too long ago.

Back