XL2 or DVX100A?

either would be a good choice.. the quality of the DVX100a is awesome.. I've heard nothing but rave reviews...

The XL2 has had some serious upgrades from it's younger brother the XL1 from what I've read.

Educate yourself as much as possible about the cameras. Try and read the manuals too if you can (should be able to download them online). I also recommend you use the cameras before you buy them (even if the only thing you can do is go to a store and play around with them). I have used the XL1/2 the most. I have used the DVX100A only once. I prefer the XL1/2 due to the removable lens and its 'setup.'

If you know how to use these cameras they will all produce nice results. Here's a picture from something I shot on my XL-1S. This is not touched up.
flav2s.jpg

You can also check out this video (from which the picture is taken) which I color corrected and touched up > http://www.flaviuman.com/breathing/Breathing.mp4 . My point, try them and see which you like best. If you know what you're doing, they can all make it look good.

I really like the XL2s "native 16:9" but I would hate to give up the extra stop of latitude the DVX gives. What purpose are you going to be using the camera for? Short films? Documentary? News?

Shaw said:
What purpose are you going to be using the camera for? Short films? Documentary? News?

For short films right now, from 10 mins to about 45mins. I dont have the money to afford anything more than about $4,000. And it needs to last me a while I may be taking it to film school, if I decide to go.

I guess it comes to to several questions then:

1) Does the XL2 warrant the extra 1K for you? Are you ever going to use multiple lenses? If you only have 4K to spend then the XL2 really is out of your price range. It costs $4,299 at B&H. Any price that is significantly lower is almost certainly a scam.
2) What is your output venue? DVD? If so then in camera 16:9 from the DVX is the best an interlaced display can handle without flickering. For film the XL2 would indeed provide a distinct advantage.
3) What sort of low light situations will you be in? The DVX has a stop more dynamic range though it tends to be noisier than the XL2.

well in the long run I'm not really sure if i would use the extra lenses, thats just more money i would have to spend. im leaning toward the DVX because it really seems to be the all around best camera for me. how much louder is it than the XL2, is it a considerable difference?

Sorry, should have specified what I said: The DVX is noisier in terms of grain in the image. You can get really good stuff without grain if you know what you are doing but if you just wave the camera around it won't come out well. Check out DVXuser.com if you haven't already. There are lots of examples there of the DVX in use - both video and screen grabs. You can get great results from either camera if you know what to do. Both are excellent.

how much louder is it than the XL2, is it a considerable difference?
yeah, he meant image grain. but let me tell u, i have used the DVX internal mic and it sucks, especially outdoors. your definately going to want to take advantage of the XLR inputs no matter which cam u get.

Back