• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

writing teams/ partners

Anyone got any experience writing as a part of a team? Would / do you like to work that way or do you prefer writing alone?

Last edited:
I generally write on my own and then have my partner (producer, co-director, etc) come in and look at it and give suggestions, then I change it according to those suggestions if I like them.

I have written both ways. I'm a playwright as well and almost all of my plays have been written solo.

However, the current feature I'm doing was written with two other people, one of them was my wife.

It was an interesting experience and we didn't have too many creative differences along the way. I would definitely do it again, at least with those partners! Writing as a team definitely makes you accountable. There were times we would set meetings during which we would all be in the same room with one of us at the keyboard. Other times, one of us would be working on writing a scene and then have to get it out to the rest of the group by a certain time.

We even outlined and came up with the idea for the film together.

If you're with the right partner(s), it really is a great way to work.

But I do also like writing by myself.

I can't answer this question in regards to film, but I can for music, which is a similar creative process.

In the seven albums I've recorded, two of them were with a duo. While the albums came out nicely, I felt very constricted by my creative partner. Not because he was doing anything wrong, but I felt that when I had a good idea, it was left up to whether or not he also agreed. In my creative process, especially in music, and in our case, writing a script, I don't like to be constrained by a partner. I like to go nuts, and go off on a creative tangent.

As the people above have mentioned, I prefer to go off on my own at first, and then receive ideas and feedback about how to proceed and what edits should be made.

Anyone got any experience writing as a part of a team? Would / do you like to work that way or do you prefer writing alone?

Yes, I like to do that. I do the actual writing but others throw in their ideas. Also, when the talent get their hands on the script, I encourage them to re-write.

So by the time it gets to screen, it has been refined.

Decide for yourself if this works: https://vimeo.com/paulrwalker/review/65203591/040e0a533b

Back