• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Writing My HD Film on a Festival-Viewing DVD?

Hi, I can't figure out how to write my HD (720x480p) film onto a DVD that'll play in more DVD players (the DVD+R will, I think, but not enough space) with enough space for the whole flick to be on one DVD...I'm sure people have done it in the past, I mean, it's not like every filmmakers send their film on several DVDs and says, "Enjoy", right? So, how do other filmmakers get their film on DVD in high-quality to be festival-screened? Thanks!

LM

You could burn an HD film to a DVD if you used it as a data disk, burning the film as a video file (MOV, WMV, etc.). There's no proper way of burning HD video to a DVD (some Bluray players can play short HD films burned to a DVD, but it's not a universal standard).

However, if your video is 720*480p it's SD, not HD. Any standard DVD burning program should do it fine (I can't recommend any on Windows, but iDVD, DVD Studio Pro and Roxio Toast are all good options on the Mac).

Back