• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

writing coverage

I am about to start an internship in August. One of my main jobs will be writing coverage on screenplays. This is the one thing that I won't have had any prior exposure to in regards to the internship. Help with techniques, approaches, or any other useful information would be greatly appreciated!

Writing coverage...

leehwhite said:
I am about to start an internship in August. One of my main jobs will be writing coverage on screenplays. This is the one thing that I won't have had any prior exposure to in regards to the internship. Help with techniques, approaches, or any other useful information would be greatly appreciated!

I'm sure that whomever you are interning with will have their own guidelines for passing/recommending a screenplay but it certainly wouldn't hurt you to get more familiar with learning structure. More specifically, 3 Act Structure.

Most studios in Hollywood subscribe to the hero's mythical journey and Christopher Vogler's book, THE WRITER'S JOURNEY: MYTHIC STRUCTURE FOR STORYTELLERS AND SCREENWRITERS so that would be a really good first read for you.

After that, I recommend, SAVE THE CAT by Blake Snyder. Between these two books, you should have a decent "handle" on basic screenplay structure and what to look for.

Don't simply read these books...

Take notes and formulate your own ideas and theories and compare them to what your employer will be telling you...

Good luck!

filmy

Last edited by a moderator:
Back