• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Writing a Synopsis

Right, been looking for tips online on writing a synopsis and I still can't seem to do it properly..

Any advise for a damsel in distress??

The answer, unfortunately, is; It depends.

If you are writing a synopsis to submit then you need to ask the
person or company what they want to see. It might be different
for each one.

If this is for yourself to keep your story line clear in your own
head then it should be written in the way that works for you.

If you are writing one to share with other writers then that, too,
can really be in whatever format is most comfortable for you.

The reason you haven’t been able to find much on line is because
the proper synopsis is too subjective. If you like it and the
story is clear then you have written your synopsis properly.

How about writing it as if you are telling someone in the room
the story?

Well, the truth is I'm going to be meeting this director on Sunday and thought I'll give it to him. The script isn't finished yet, I can't contact him beforehand, I don't know how long he'd want it to be lol and I doubt I'll be meeting him again anytime soon..

So just trying to think what would be better? I suppose because the script isn't finished then the 1-page, detailed + ending synopsis could do the work. But then it's a bit less 'magical' than keeping him hanging with a short 3-5 sentences 'to the point' one..

:(

I personally wouldn't give him a synopsis. Why spoil the ending of a good movie before you've had a chance to see it? Now I would hype it up and throw some ideas at him to make sure what I'm writing is still interesting to him.

For what it's worth...

I'd NEVER give anyone a synopsis or treatment if they've not asked for one... And then, even when they DO, I end up just giving them the first 10 pages of the script instead.

I've had much more success and anticipation for the rest of the script that way...

filmy

I, too, advise against giving this director a synopsis.

You don’t tell us much about this meeting so I don’t know the
background but it sounds like it’s not a friend of yours or
someone you have worked with in the past. Meet with him, pitch
several ideas you have (if he asks) and arrange to deliver the
script when it’s finished.

I can tell you that as a director I’m not too happy about reading
a synopsis for an unfinished script. Unless you’re a writer with
a pretty good track record or a friend there is a possibility
that the script isn’t very good. The reality is from “The script
isn't finished yet” to an excellent, polished final draft can be
several months.

It’s so much more impressive to hand a finished script to a
director. Be cautious and don’t let your enthusiasm cloud your
professionalism.

Well, there's no background. It's a director I like who I'm going to see, it'll be a quick meet, won't get a chance to talk much but only give him the pages I want lol

Perhaps just giving the 10 pages I've written so far would be good enough then. Hopefully I'll have enough time to explain a bit about it. Or I'll just write a letter explaining just a tiny bit rather than write a proper synopsis..

Well, I got til tomorrow night to decide lol

I don't think anything will come of this meeting, I don't think he'll do anything with an unfinished script of course and although I do think my idea is generally excellent (lol), it's still an early stage.. BUT, seeing as it's probably the only chance I'll ever get to meet him, I don't think I have anything to lose and I just HAVE to try and make the most of it.

Back