Writer Hunter S. Thompson Commits Suicide

That was the way I always figured he would go.

I'm not really familiar with his writings, but he certainly had his own special flair and from what I've seen when he's appeared on various guest shows (Conan, Daily Show) he's been fascinating.

that’s such a sad way to go and i hate to think about what goes on in their heads and life that make them want to do something like this

I'm so shocked. Hunter is the person who inspired me to start writing back in 1984, when a friend gave me a copy of his book on Hells Angels. It was the most fascinating thing I'd ever read and for a few years I was the worst kind of Hunter S Thompson clone.

I've always read his stuff and have taken the journey from seeing him as my hero, through getting sober myself fifteen years ago and slowly realising that there is a sad desperation in his writing that I had somehow managed to step away from.

Ten years ago the Independent (A UK National Newspaper) ran a writing competition for one hundred and fifty word pieces, the angle was you had to write one author's work in the style of another. I wrote The Magic Roundabout (By Eric Thompson -Emma's Dad) by Hunter S Thompson and was one of the winners.

The people I feel sorry for are his family and loved ones. The effects of suicide on them is dreadful. My wife Stella's ex committed sucide three years ago and Stel is still dealing with the consequences now and only a few weeks ago I burried a very close friend who also killed himself. Sad, very sad.

I think Hunter never really became the writer that he'd set out to be. There was a great, serious novel in him and somehow he got sidetracked by Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and ended up an icon for every druggie in the western world. I'm, not sure that in the end that brought him hapiness. On the other hand Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail is probably one of the best books on American politics I've ever read and his book on Hells Angels is probably one of the great pieces of American journalism.

RIP Hunter :(

clive said:
Ten years ago the Independent (A UK National Newspaper) ran a writing competition for one hundred and fifty word pieces, the angle was you had to write one author's work in the style of another. I wrote The Magic Roundabout (By Eric Thompson -Emma's Dad) by Hunter S Thompson and was one of the winners

I think I remember that comp, and it was one of the first things i read away from home (my dad - telegraph man, but one of the nice ones). it was that sort of thing that made me believe i could do it (write).
perhaps the ability of thompson to inspire has evolved and you have been part of a movement to inspire others to write -, enabbling the cycle to revolve once more, to which not only am I grateful, but perhaps Thompson would be himself.

I don't want to add to this by talking about people in my life who have threatened to or tried to end themselves, so I will simply say that I am sorry for your losses, whatever they may be.

clive said:
The people I feel sorry for are his family and loved ones. The effects of suicide on them is dreadful. My wife Stella's ex committed sucide three years ago and Stel is still dealing with the consequences now and only a few weeks ago I burried a very close friend who also killed himself. Sad, very sad.

Even an attempted suicide can affect family for years.

Poke

I don't believe it was Thompson himself who shot him, but his alternate perrsona. If anyone has seen the documentary Fear and Loathing On the Road to Hollywood, made for I think BBC although I may be wrong, he said that Raul Duke was always looking for a way to kill off Thompson. I suppose he won.

Personally I figured he'd have blown himself up with dynamite long ago.. but yeah, not terribly surprising. Whiterabbit makes a good point too. Raul finally found his chance to kill him.

clive said:
I'm so shocked. Hunter is the person who inspired me to start writing back in 1984, when a friend gave me a copy of his book on Hells Angels. It was the most fascinating thing I'd ever read and for a few years I was the worst kind of Hunter S Thompson clone.

I've always read his stuff and have taken the journey from seeing him as my hero, through getting sober myself fifteen years ago and slowly realising that there is a sad desperation in his writing that I had somehow managed to step away from.

Ten years ago the Independent (A UK National Newspaper) ran a writing competition for one hundred and fifty word pieces, the angle was you had to write one author's work in the style of another. I wrote The Magic Roundabout (By Eric Thompson -Emma's Dad) by Hunter S Thompson and was one of the winners.

I think Hunter never really became the writer that he'd set out to be. There was a great, serious novel in him and somehow he got sidetracked by Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and ended up an icon for every druggie in the western world. I'm, not sure that in the end that brought him hapiness. On the other hand Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail is probably one of the best books on American politics I've ever read and his book on Hells Angels is probably one of the great pieces of American journalism.

RIP Hunter :(

Now I know who he is but Im wondering if he did a film/book piece back int he 60s in which he promised the Hells Angel a portion and a Keg party and when interviewed the Hells angels said all they wanted was the damn Keg party he never came through (Nor the money).

Is that the same guy? anyways, Its a sad thing for someone to do.

King Goldfish said:
Now I know who he is but Im wondering if he did a film/book piece back int he 60s in which he promised the Hells Angel a portion and a Keg party and when interviewed the Hells angels said all they wanted was the damn Keg party he never came through (Nor the money).

Is that the same guy? anyways, Its a sad thing for someone to do.

Wasn't that Russ Meyer?

Btw, remember that music video for "Rock Me Amadeus", by Falco? The biker gang in that video was paid in beer. :cool:

Is that the same guy?

Yeap, that's the same guy and he got pounded for it, which gave him just the emding he wanted for the book. It is however a stunning book.

Hmmmm!

When my cousin used a 22 it wasnt' pretty at all. It's been almost 30 years now and we are still dealing with the after effects. From the article it reads like she is still in denial and dis belief. People do strange things in tough times.

Mike :mope:

Poke, I don't think you have to apologize to us HST fans for this story. To me, it seems that the Good Doctor was well-loved by his family, and they seem to understand him and his reasons for doing this. I'm not at all surprised at the "weirdness" of these details that are coming out...we're talking about Hunter Thompson here! Anything LESS than weirdness on a unique scale would seem...I dunno, a little dissapointing maybe?

From the moment I read the initial press release from Juan Thompson (Hunter's son) stating that his father took his life in his "fortified compound", I had the feeling that there was an undercurrent of wry humor and acceptance of what happened. If they can come to terms with what happened, I guess I can too.

Keep in mind that many of HST's closest friends always knew he'd eventually take his own life. While in many instances suicide is a selfish and desperate act, and incredibly painful for the person's family, I can't bring myself to agree that there's no situation where it might be considered forgivable, or perhaps even justified.

Ultimately, it's his choice to do what he will with his life...and perhaps he saw it as a uniquely personal expression of freedom in an increasingly repressive society. Hunter may have chosen to make this statement in the most profound way possible.

In any case, I feel fortunate to have had someone like him in the world for as long as he was. I'm kind of surprised he wasn't dead from an overdose, shootout, or flaming car crash thirty or so years ago...everything beyond the mid-70s is a bonus, in my opinion.

Bob

Back