• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Write To Your Budget With Quentin Tarantino

I know this has probably been dropped here before, but it bears repeating.

Backstory - Reservoir Dogs had its entire heist scene axed, though the movie still worked. Becauseeeeee, Tarantino wrote to his budget. He didn't try to fake a scene he knew he wouldn't have the money for. More advice for the low-budget writer/director/producer/jacks-and-jills of all trades around here, but it applies as much to those writing on spec. And also a good lesson on why the story > a single scene/idea.

http://scripteach.com/?page_id=117

I know this has probably been dropped here before, but it bears repeating. ...
Backstory - Reservoir Dogs had its entire heist scene axed, though the movie still worked. Becauseeeeee, Tarantino wrote to his budget. He didn't try to fake a scene he knew he wouldn't have the money for.

Uh, not quite. Here is the quote from the Wikipedia article which I refer you to for the references:
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reservoir_Dogs)
"Quentin Tarantino had been working at Video Archives, a video store in Manhattan Beach, California, and originally planned to shoot the film with his friends on a budget of $30,000 in a 16 mm format with producer Lawrence Bender playing a police officer chasing Mr Pink.[6] When actor Harvey Keitel became involved and agreed to act in the film and co-produce,[7] he was cast as Mr. White. With Keitel's assistance, the filmmakers were able to raise $1.5 million to make the film.[1]

Of his decision to not show the heist itself, Tarantino has said that the reason was initially budgetary but that he had always liked the idea of not showing it and stuck with that idea. He has said that the technique allows for the realization that the film is "about other things" [1] ... he wanted the film to be about something that is not seen."

I think it's laudable to write to budget of a picture you plan to shoot yourself. However, the difference between writing initially for a $30K feature and having a $1.5M budget would have allowed for a heist scene. As Tarantino himself said, it was a stylistics choice. It wasn't cut from a $1.5 M budget movie, it wasn't added to a $30 K movie that got a big revenue boost.

If you're writing on spec, you should write to your story. Just keep in mind someone has to find funding. If they can't, then either something gets axed, written out, the script isn't produced or the script is passed on. Allow the producer to see the story and find out how much money they can raise. The budget will determine how much of the story the director plans to tell.

If you're the writer/director, you should write your story to what you can realistically expect for your budget. If your Kickstarter/Indiegogo should be wildly successful, you can add stuff back in. That we should all have and additional $ 1, 470,000 dropped in our lap to make our movies.

I'm just beginning to enter the industry, and I must say, I don't know, even not close, how much things cost there.

I'm co-directing a 20min length film. There is a scene in a forest. I was like, - "Cool, I know a good dense forest". But the director told me he would rather hire a 3D modeler to build up a forest, than shoot in a real forest. Why? Because shooting in the nature requires electricity, generators and other logistics. Which is more expensive. So they went into modelling and postponed the shooting date.

And then I saw movies of this guy. This kid makes good Sci-Fi films with low budget... And he's a kid, lol! Never saw kids make it this far. Never mind... The point is, that the more progressive technologies people use in filming, the cheaper it costs. Am I right?

P.S. Another question I want to ask. Suppose I sell my script, which requires more than 1 mil to fund. But the producer will shoot it for 100k budget. They will change the script the way even I won't recognize it. The movie becomes shit. What will happen with me? I know that screenwriter has nothing to do with the movie after he sells a spec script, but still, the same as in Game Development industry, the bigger guys always blame the smaller guys for failures. And the people who watch movie, often blame the screenplay, not the casting crew. How much shit I'll have to eat? :)

Last edited:
P.S. Another question I want to ask. Suppose I sell my script, which requires more than 1 mil to fund. But the producer will shoot it for 100k budget. They will change the script the way even I won't recognize it. The movie becomes shit. What will happen with me? I know that screenwriter has nothing to do with the movie after he sells a spec script, but still, the same as in Game Development industry, the bigger guys always blame the smaller guys for failures. And the people who watch movie, often blame the screenplay, not the casting crew. How much shit I'll have to eat? :)

I've wondered, myself, how the script writer is viewed should a movie be labeled a flop (or poorly financed/produced). What if your spec script could have been easily considered a movie classic in the hands of a Spielberg or a Lucas... but ends up in the hands of Edward D. Wood Jr. with a poorly-drawn cartoonish DVD cover instead?

I know that budgets can go all across the board depending on what type of effects get used. Obviously a $1M budget chopped down to $100K is a pretty extreme reduction in budget. But what if it was originally estimated at $150M and got knocked down to $95M? With some "creative thinking" effects experts, smart money managing and a production team that doesn't make a lot of mistakes it might not be such a big issue.

One thing to consider; I've read the "script value" is roughly 5% of the overall cost to make the movie. From $1M down to $100K takes the value of your script from roughly $50,000.00 down to $5,000.00.

...Are you willing to let your cool, ingenious "Rappatron Device" and all of the hard work you put into your script go for a measly $5K? And if you ARE willing ...then you should also expect to see that same level of value placed on the finished movie product.

-Birdman

What should be good news, is that the screenwriter is one of the few people guaranteed to get paid in a for-profit production. Often a script will be optioned for production rather than bought out right. Optioning means that you're paid an agreed upon rate ($1-$15K depending on your credentials and the project) to allow a production company to try to make your script into a movie within an agreed upon amount of tme (1-2 yrs). Often with a condition of one renewal.

This can tie your script up for 2-4 years but you're getting paid.

After optioning, they will secure a director and DP to put together a shot list and budget. They will also budget for a few name actors. Then the producer goes after funding being able to dangle director/star packages before investors. In most productions, the screenwriter gets a proportion of the overall budget minus the initial option. There is usually a rider that if the movie is a box office hit, the writer receives a bonus (often a fixed sum).

Now before you get your hopes too high, those Hollywood deals that net millions are typically by insiders. Indie writers can still nice checks. Many screenwriters make money from optioning scripts that never are made into movies believe it or not. While getting the money is nice, getting the writing credit is also important.

The other issue is that new writers aren't always guaranteed writing credit, though they may get story credit. Story credit often doesn't get you a percentage but a fixed amount. It's important to read the contract before signing if you don't have an agent.

There is always some question about how one's work gets translated to the screen. My personal opinion is that usually only other screenwriters pay attention to who wrote a script. Any writing credit you can build moves you forward. Even bad publicity is publicity. The starting roles for many actors are in less than Oscar worthy movies or roles but it gets their names out there. The only exception is with the writer/director. If you write AND direct a piece of crap, well, that doesn't help you. In that case, VBoheme's point--write and direct to your production budget is very sound advice.

I've wondered, myself, how the script writer is viewed should a movie be labeled a flop (or poorly financed/produced). What if your spec script could have been easily considered a movie classic in the hands of a Spielberg or a Lucas... but ends up in the hands of Edward D. Wood Jr. with a poorly-drawn cartoonish DVD cover instead?

I know that budgets can go all across the board depending on what type of effects get used. Obviously a $1M budget chopped down to $100K is a pretty extreme reduction in budget. But what if it was originally estimated at $150M and got knocked down to $95M? With some "creative thinking" effects experts, smart money managing and a production team that doesn't make a lot of mistakes it might not be such a big issue.

One thing to consider; I've read the "script value" is roughly 5% of the overall cost to make the movie. From $1M down to $100K takes the value of your script from roughly $50,000.00 down to $5,000.00.

...Are you willing to let your cool, ingenious "Rappatron Device" and all of the hard work you put into your script go for a measly $5K? And if you ARE willing ...then you should also expect to see that same level of value placed on the finished movie product.

-Birdman

I've exaggerated a bit about 1m to 100k :)
But, yes, as a new writer I have more chances to get a producer with 100k budget than producers with 1m++. And I can't be like "I want my script at the hands of Nolan or Spielberg, no less!".

Moreover, I think movie like my "Rappatron Device", which is actually called "VoXDrop" :) can be shot on 1-2M and be good. I mean... most of the needed actors are 20-25 years old. Well... maybe I'll need 50-100 people to create a "crowd", but I don't need real actors for that. There are no Sci-Fi locations, history decorations, choreography, costumes or high quality visual effects. And the scene INT locations repeat themselves many times. What I don't really know, is how much the cost distribution, marketing and HR.

So 100k for 2-4 years?
Now that's gonna make me rich! :lol:
;) That's why I tell people writing scripts to not think of them a 'golden lottery tickets'. You get $5K to tide you over until your windfall, hopefully, in a couple years. Still, $5K is more than squat ($ 0).
I've exaggerated a bit about 1m to 100k :)
But, yes, as a new writer I have more chances to get a producer with 100k budget than producers with 1m++. And I can't be like "I want my script at the hands of Nolan or Spielberg, no less!".
As a new writer, you're focused on selling a script. A producer OR director might pick it up. And if you have an agent, you can sometimes be surprised who reads the script (whether they choose to make it, is a separate question). Sometimes an actor or actress falls for a script and leads production through his/her connections (as Keitel did for Tarantino). So being involved in other productions can be an asset to connect with directors and actors!
Moreover, I think movie like my "Rappatron Device", which is actually called "VoXDrop" :) can be shot on 1-2M and be good. I mean... most of the needed actors are 20-25 years old. Well... maybe I'll need 50-100 people to create a "crowd", but I don't need real actors for that. There are no Sci-Fi locations, history decorations, choreography, costumes or high quality visual effects. And the scene INT locations repeat themselves many times. What I don't really know, is how much the cost distribution, marketing and HR.
"That's on a need to know basis, and you don't need to know" :cool:
It's not so much age as union status. There are so many distribution outlets and that impacts the marketing. Typically producers look at a 20/80 production budget--20% above line (talent-actors/directors/writer), 80% below line (crew, locations, effects, etc.). Some distribution (film, DVD, streaming, festivals) in the domestic (us) and/or international markets require marketing and labeling. There is another forum dedicated entirely to this topic. You might go there and ask this question.

As a rough estimate, the marketing & distribution budget can be up to half the production budget. Again these are rough figures for the sake of discussion.
A 90 page script will usually take about 8 weeks to shoot professionally (5 day weeks for 12 hrs for about 38 shoot days).
For an actor, the rate can range from $100/day to $843/day or more in some cases.
We're looking at $3800 per lead actor (assuming an Ultra Low SAG agreement)
For a Hollywood production, those SAG acting rates and directing rates will be significantly higher.
So for a basic story, we have 4 leads and 6 supporting- 4 * 3800 + 6 * 2850 = $ 32,300 (for actors)
Director, DP, ADs add another $10 K roughly.
Add in meals, crew and directing expenses as well as paperwork, PAs, locations, music, props, post-production, etc., it's easy to see why a quality independent film nowadays can have heavy budgets. Because of inflation, Tarantino's $30K initial budget (hey, 16 mm film?) would have to be almost $ 75K today.

Consider a decent range independent film (Sundance quality) that uses Reds and Avid editing suite and SAG/non-union actors.
$ 750K film = $250K (marketing & distribution, rights, some post-production expenses) + $400K (crew, locations, FX, permits, food, lodging, travel, PAs, Extras) + $100K (actors, directors, writer/s, composer)
So a 2% cut for the writer = $ 15K, though you'd be paid $10K = $15K - $5K (option)
Not huge, but I'm not going to turn my nose up at $10 K two years down the road.

I mention this because screenwriters think it's only about their story and producers will pay them hundreds or millions on sight. I want to be a voice of reason. Movies take time to make. The bigger the production, the more time and money, big money. When you're a producer and looking at budgets over $500K, you want a great script that can attract actors, directors and investors who want a return AND be ready to go into production quickly.

Production companies often have parameters for scripts that interest them because they already have actors/locations/assets in mind they can use inexpensively. While your script may be innovative, from the numbers perspective, "doing what's made money in the past" makes sense. You tap an existing viewing market. That's why there's so many imitation movies and re-makes. Love 'em, hate 'em people go to see 'em. If a producer loves your story, they'll option it. They'll have me read it and make recommendations for cleaning it up. Usually they ask the original writer to re-work it. They then work to interest directors and actors in being involved. With that package (script, director, actor) they then go looking for money.

Getting people to invest in a movie is difficult because they are prone to fail. Given the choice of buying Microsoft stock compared to NewbieNerd stock, the conservative investor will go with Microsoft despite the potential gain. The same is true of investors in movies. Name talent draws in the bucks. "You got DeNiro on board, sure I'm in." "Soderberg's directing? Alright, I'll invest."

A director may see your story and decide he likes it but can "re-write it to be better". An actor may see a part as awesome but want the role to showcase his/her talents. The producer will often let them. Their credits are what get the movie financed. At least until you have some credits of your own. Script consultants work in the background to "clean up" the script based on production notes. At some point, you need to choose between money and/or credit.

Truth is, outside of the screenwriter (via option) and those who get paid during production (mostly crew, many actors are on deferment in small projects), most don't see a dime if the project doesn't break even. Unless you are working in Hollywood, New York, or Chicago in the film/television industry, you will likely not be making a consistent, living wage as a screenwriter. I don't mean that as a discouragement but as a reality check. It has nothing to do with your writing but access to being actively involved in the industry. Many great writer/directors got their start writing copy in the advertising industry (Cameron for one). Working behind the scenes as a script consultant and/or reader is another way. While you don't often get credit, you get experience, some pay, and connections.

Smaller indies still look at budgets of $50-100 K for professional quality shoots that use rental Reds, permits, crew, etc. You can find non-union actors who will work on deferment, especially around college towns. In these cases, a writer may get $1000 for an option and deferment for a small percentage after distribution. Sometimes, just getting credit and seeing your script made into a movie is worth the effort.
Even if not Spielberg, if a produced/established director wished to option one of my scripts, I wouldn't say no because I was offered less than standard. Less money is sometimes a worthwhile swap, though I would require getting screen credit and points. Most indie directors and producers are okay with that.

Again, don't expect one script will make you instantly rich. To start seeing instant money, pick up a camera. They always need camera operators.

Good luck.

Well, I'll see what comes out of the movie I'm co-directing. Sometimes I'm annoying the director to make changes in the script, just to make an illusion that I made a great influence on it :blush: But yes, I'm working for small money and some credits

I just have another question... Suppose I'll get some portfolio in filming industry in Israel... how much will that interest Hollywood? You know, if I go to an Israeli producer and say "I worked in Hollywood", he's gonna worship me as God. But if I go to Hollywood producer and say "I worked in filming industry in Israel"... is he gonna be like, - "Great... next!", - unless I'm a well known person?

About selling the script. I've finished the VoxDrop screenplay, and now I write 10 email queries to different agents from different agencies everyday. Would you suggest a better approach?

Last edited:
Just entered a contest. 78$!!! I found some others, all 50$++
Huh... I thought they gonna be 10-15$, no more. :D

Offtopic: US is really a strange country. You guys sell the newest iPhones only for 200$, but take 79$ for participation in a contest. So, if I don't enter 3 contests, I have an iPhone! Awesome proportions! :)

Foreigners have a really strange take on Capitalism.

Just entered a contest. 78$!!! I found some others, all 50$++
Huh... I thought they gonna be 10-15$, no more. :D

Let's also assume you've entered the "PAGE International Screenwriting Awards" ($79 fee) ...but we'll change that fee. $79 seems like way too much $$$, so let's knock it down to $15.

Let's say half of the $15 goes to the "PAGE International" for promotion, networking, administration, website and all other related administrative duties. So PAGE gets $7.50 per entry.

That leaves $7.50 for the "Professional Script Reviewer" who the PAGE International hand-selects based on their talent and qualifications.

This talented "Script Reviewer" now has your "VoXDrop" script in his hands. It will take him a full two hours to read, comprehend and offer a professional review.

That translates to roughly $3.75 per hour pay for your talented script reviewer who now holds the fate of you ever becoming a professional Script Writer in his grossly-underpaid hands.

FWIW: An entry-level Walmart employee (with zero education) makes $7.50 to $8.00 per hour ...but a college graduate, professional Script Writer who has optioned or sold a script will work for less than half of what a Walmart employee will?

...I don't think so.

- Birdman

Last edited:
Of his decision to not show the heist itself, Tarantino has said that the reason was initially budgetary but that he had always liked the idea of not showing it and stuck with that idea. He has said that the technique allows for the realization that the film is "about other things" [1] ... he wanted the film to be about something that is not seen."

This gets to what I consider one of the fundamental rules of good filmmaking:

Don't tell that which you can show, and don't show more than you absolutely have to.

This rule is completely independent of budget - in the RD example it would be tempting, once the budget was increased, to include the heist in the film. Ultimately though, it wasn't necessary - and it's inclusion would have required removing something else from the script. The film isn't about a heist - it's about the dynamics of the characters dealing with one another in a bad situation. Taking away from the time the characters had to deal with the aftermath in order to show the heist itself would take away from the actual subject of the film.

Now you might look at it and say "but they tell us about the heist instead of showing it!" - which seems like it violates the rule. However, when they talk about the heist it's not just exposition - the way each person perceives and relates what happened is a fundamental aspect of their characters and drives their actions throughout the rest of the film. When they tell us about the heist they are showing us their character, not just relaying information to the audience.

An interesting exercise is to compare RD to the film it's inspired by - Ringo Lam's City On Fire - which does include the heist. Reservoir Dogs is basically the last 15 minutes of that film expanded into a feature, but they are dramatically different films with completely different focus and themes. Early on there were a lot of accusations of plagiarism on Tarantino's part regarding that film, but side by side I see them as a great example of how plot is often the least important aspect of what a film is really about.

Now you might look at it and say "but they tell us about the heist instead of showing it!" - which seems like it violates the rule. However, when they talk about the heist it's not just exposition - the way each person perceives and relates what happened is a fundamental aspect of their characters and drives their actions throughout the rest of the film.

The fact that the heist was not shown was what made the film really compelling for me

Okay, I'm calling shenanigans on this. Now, I'll agree that the heist scene ended up not being all that necessary, but that's not to say it wouldn't have worked out just as well (or better) with one included. I think this is more of a psychological desire to raise Tarantino to god-like status as a script writer/director rather than just admit that he skimped, cut corners and filled in the blanks with exposition so he could get the damned thing done.

If anyone in this IndieTalk forum posted up a script like "Reservoir Dogs" minus the heist scene and having all of the exposition included, the loooooooooong opening café scene and having everyone slooowly gathering together in that butt-numbingly long "Ear Scene", ..... they would have had their ass handed to them in no less than one hundred follow-up posts from vehemently-disappointed posters who feel all of that needless exposition really grates on them.

It's because it's TARANTINO that it's considered acceptable! ...Nothing else!

-Birdman

Last edited:
Birdman, Tarantino wasn't that TARANTINO before he wrote and made the Reservoir Dogs. He had his previous projects (somewhat homemade) totally failed.

And there is a movie with a long opening scene - Hobbit:Unexpected Journey. Yes, it's made by a book, but still, 30 first minutes nothing happens?! lol. Well, I personally hate that. Many people hate that.

Nevertheless, that movie made it far. Why? Because the filming industry is not math. If X = 10, it doesn't mean that 2X = 20... if you get the analogy. Good movies are those, which overwhelm with emotions, not those which are technically correct.

Okay, I'm calling shenanigans on this. Now, I'll agree that the heist scene ended up not being all that necessary, but that's not to say it wouldn't have worked out just as well (or better) with one included.

But it also could have turned out a lot worse - maybe it would have just been another run-of-the-mill low budget actioner which didn't make much of a splash. Or it could have gone down as the greatest heist scene in cinematic history. Once you start dealing in hypotheticals anything's possible. The fact of the matter is he chose not to include the heist scene and that resulted in a film we're still discussing nearly 25 years later - clearly, at minimum, it didn't prove to be a bad decision in the long run.

If anyone in this IndieTalk forum posted up a script like "Reservoir Dogs" minus the heist scene and having all of the exposition included, the loooooooooong opening café scene and having everyone slooowly gathering together in that butt-numbingly long "Ear Scene", ..... they would have had their ass handed to them in no less than one hundred follow-up posts from vehemently-disappointed posters who feel all of that needless exposition really grates on them.

And if Tom Petty was an unknown singer who auditioned for American Idol he'd be sent packing when the funny-looking guy opened his mouth and, instead of smashing the expectations of the audience when he sung with the voice of an angel, a funny-sounding voice emerged. And yet somehow despite not looking right or sounding right he's one of the most successful recording artists of all time. Sometimes the total is more than the sum of the parts, and sometimes the critics and conventional wisdom are proven wrong.

It's because it's TARANTINO that it's considered acceptable! ...Nothing else!

Well, yeah. That's kind of the point, isn't it? He figured out a way to make it work. Your argument wouldn't make sense if he hadn't - no one would know who he was. And the fact remains that before he made Reservoir Dogs nobody knew who he was, so the success of the film had nothing to do with ti being a Tarantino film and everything to do with the film itself.

Back