Workflow

Here's my current workflow for DSLR in Premiere 5.5:

1. Create folder for the day's shoot in my project folder's footage section.
  2. Copy footage files to HD
  3. Copy separately-recorded audio files to HD
  4. Run backup program that updates secondary backup drive.
  5. Create new project in premiere, add all footage files to it.
  6. Add separately-recorded audio files to project
  7. Throw all footage and audio files into timeline
  8. Export .XML project, run PluralEyes
  9. Open main Premiere project and import PluralEyes .XML project
  10. Ensure audio is synced up, fix any misses by hand.
  11. Create a new sequence for each clip.
  12. Run backup program that updates secondary backup drive.
  13. For each clip in its own sequence, add BorisFX pixel filter to remove hot pixels.
  14. For each clip in its own sequence, add NeatVideo filter for grain removal. Disable NeatVideo filter once all settings are correct.
  15. Run backup program that updates secondary backup drive.
  16. Edit movie.
  17. Run backup program that updates secondary backup drive.
  18. Re-enable NeatVideo filter for all used clip sequences.
  19. Export low-res video (at same framerate) for use with Logic Studio.
  20. Write musical score. Panic over my lack of talent.
  21. Run backup program that updates secondary backup drive.
  22. Import musical score into Premiere. Finish up audio processing and volumes.
  23. Run backup program that updates secondary backup drive.
  24. Add color correction filters, effects, etc.
  25. Run backup program that updates secondary backup drive.
  26. Export for DVD, BluRay, YouTube, whatever.
  27. Run backup program that updates secondary backup drive.

It would be pretty cool time lapse of what it actualy entail to make a short 5 min movie. record everything from preproduction, during production, and record your screen capture during post proposition as well..

Cool detailed workflow. Yiu forgot to include periodical headbanging over missed/bad footage or unusable audio ;)

Too many specific possible differences to be really particular, I'll ask these questions, then answer generally:

What camera with what capture settings?
Mac/PC?
What Editing Package?
What is your intended distribution channel?

Generally:
- Based on camera/settings, capture highest quality possible
- Setup editing environment making it easier to backup completely later (for me, this is Final Cut and I make sure to make a new folder for each project in the Finder on my mac, then save the project file there and set all of the scratch disks to point at the project folder).
- Assembly Edit:
- - For Narrative pieces, assemble using dialog and a script to get everything in order on the timeline with the best takes noted on set by the director.
- - For Weddings, cherry pick choice bits of footage from B-Roll, Arrival/Prep, Reception and Dance. and put together the ceremony itself as its own clip (generally one long take).
- - For Commercial Pieces, assemble with a little of both techniques.
- Rough cut:
- - For Narrative, boil dialog scenes down using dialog pacing and boil down action scenes using action beats and matched cuts.
- - For Wedding/ Commercial, edit to the VO (in weddings it's the officiant/couple, in commercial, Narrator), then cut in/overlay relevant footage/interviews/songs in the dance.
- Preview to friends who will openly tell you you're an idiot.
- - Take notes with time code
- Make final edit corrections working backwards so as not to change the timecodes downstream.
- Repeat preview process until everyone's happy with it.
- Compositing cleanup if necessary, wire removal
- Color correction/Grading
- Add Titles and Credits
- Export to a standalone Full quality file (and a smaller preview file for the sound folks to work with)
- Sound Edit (using OMF export)
- - Dialog cleanup
- - Foley
- - SoundFX
- Music Pass
- Reimport all the Audio and lay over the Full quality video
- Export full quality to be turned into everything else, youtube, vimeo, DVD, Bluray, etc.
- Drag Project folder to Main Projects backup drive and another copy to cold strage.
- Tapes get labelled for storage and put in the tape organizer for disaster recovery.
- Clear project off main harddrive and make room for next edit.
- Lather
- Rinse
- Repeat

Escher and Knightly,
Thanks for the lengthy list.I suppose this is why I stayed a still shooter for so many years!
I am shooting D7000 1080 24fps. Did beginning stuff in Imovie.Will get Final Cut soon.Record audio on sep.track.Final Cut X I think has a syncing provision.
The explanations were concise,but a question about Plural Eyes.Do you import all clips and it syncs each clip separately or sync after the video edit? Thanks guys great info for me.

PluralEyes actually integrates better into Final Cut. You'll need to read their instructions for whichever version of FC you get.

You might want to consider Premiere, however. No transcoding.

FCPX actually comes with something like pluraleyes built in. The workflow on FCPX is different than everything else. It's made to hide the specifics of the file system from the user... it's under the guise of the "what we learned from iOS, the iPhone and the iPad" updates to their software. THe drawback is that doing backups of projects is currently an unknown quantity. As someone with over a dozen productions, this is a really important piece of the puzzle. I refuse to update to both Lion and FCPX until I can have specific answers. One of these is backwards compatibility with the terrabytes of projects I've got completed already, the other big one is how I back up all of the projects I work on to keep my harddrives usable and empty.

Back