wirelass lav inter-compatibility

I have a lav mic from a sure wireless system knocking about and wondered what are the odds of being able to use it on another wireless transmitter from another manufacturer (Audio Technica) if I change the connector. I can't seem to find the bias voltage of the transmitter but the sure states as 5v but works within a range of about 2.5 up to 10. Can't find impedence values either.

On another (very technical) note my wireless receiver (Audio Technica ATW-R100) gives out a mic level output but I would much prefer line level. I would of thought the internals would of been at line level maybe knocked down to mic. Can anyone confirm the internal goings on of a receiver and if they have even heard of people defeating an internal circuit that attenuates down to mic level to get a line level output? External pre-amps are quite expensive and the less likkle boxes in my bag and connections in my signal flow the better.

Okay, the manufacturer is "Shure", not sure.

Most lavs can be used interchangeably with most transmitters. As you have already noted you need to have the correct connector(s). I hope that you're good with a soldering iron. :D

A large percentage of wireless receivers are made to be connected to a mixer, and most of them have mic level inputs. You can use an impedance matching transformer to connect the output of a Low Z receiver to a High Z mixer/recorder input.

Thanks for the help with the lavs, but not sure if I follow you about the receiver hook up.
My problem is my 4 track recorder only has two mic inputs, the other two being line only. The radio's I had seen up until then where switchable between mic and line but the ATs I wound up with (e-bay bargain) were not. I'm fine most of the time but if I have a more complicated setup, boom and two lavs for example, I'm out of mic inputs.
The recorder is a Sound Devices 744T, the line inputs would be balanced +4 pro level@20k ohm. The transformer would match the impedance but I'm still around 35dBs short of input gain. I know the recorder has buckets full of gain but that must really be pushing it.
At the moment I'm working around it by passing mics into my DR-100 then using the line out, unbalanced unfortunately, into the recorder's line inputs. I assume I have a slight gain shortfall there 'cause I'm guessing the Tascam's unbalanced outputs would be -10 dB consumer level.
Might get that transformer anyway as that seems like the proper way of connecting my shotgun straight to my DSLR for a more compact set up for run and gun documentaries. Magic Lantern will afford me manual gain control and allow a balanced input.

Back