Windows 8 64bit or Windows 8 Professional 64bit? Which to get?

This might be a bit off for an Indie Film forum.

I use a Mac. In the work I've begun doing, there are certain programs I need that aren't compatible with OSX. For the time being I'm going to bootcamp my Mac, and add a Windows partition (eventually I may build a dedicated PC).

What I'd like to know, is there any advantage of getting Windows 8 Professional over just plain Windows 8 (64 bit of course)?

I've looked up the differences between the two, and I don't know enough about either or computer speak, to understand what those differences are. One thing that stood out was the integration of Media Center, in Windows 8 Pro. I don't know of the is something ill need, or even use, if I had it. The only integration of Internet I might need, is for updating software.

And if I do build a dedicated PC, and then migrate off the bootcamp, to using that. It will be a purpose built PC for 3D animation GPU rendering (mostly). Would that make a difference in the long run, between 8 Pro and just standard 8?

Thanks for the opinions,
Jeff

The selling point for me was the lack of remote desktop support. The core version does not allow you to remote into it. This may not be a need for you.

Otherwise, everything else worked great on core. I mostly use it for ingesting footage via Adobe Prelude and then having it transcode and copy to a footage folder.

You can always start with core and upgrade on the fly without much problems also. It's very simple and you don't have to re-install anything.

64-Bit is only useful if your hardware can handle 64-bit processing. If it does, then the advantages are exponential speed increases.

Yes, you are correct. I was just trying to figure out between Windows 8 and Windows 8 Professional (both 64bit).

My Mac Pro is 64Bit capable, and when/if I build a dedicated PC, it will be also.

So aside from Remote Desktop (don't think or know that I'd need this) and Media Center. Any other advantages to the Professional version. I think I remember reading something about encrypting with the Pro version. Again, I don't know of this is anything I need.

The program ill be using now, is called sIBL Edit. It's for processing HDR images, for use in 3D animation.

As I said in the original post, I may eventually build a dedicated PC, with SLI support, for 3d rendering. Once I go that route, and I upgrade to Adobe CS6, ill be able to run a copy on my Mac and PC. I currently use Blender for 3D, but am interested in learning Maya (is both PC and OSX) or 3ds max (only PC I believe).

To answer your actual question as to whether Windows 8 Proffessional is better than windows 8 home or whatever, I say no.

When I built my windows 7 PC two years ago I as going to get professional but the guy told me there is next to no difference with the work I'm doing. And I've had no troubles. So unless you see a specific feature that only comes with professional, stick with the cheaper one :)

I just picked up a trio of Sony Vaio laptops, all with Win8. The one I'm on now has pro and the 13 incher has basic. The setup on each was slightly different. I like the minor tweaks to the GUI (Graphic User Interface) on the Pro version better than the Basic. Honestly, I prefer 7's GUI over 8's. My work computer runs XP.

I haven't used Windows 8 (nor do I intend to, it really doesn't have anything that I need that's different from Windows 7, cross platform programs and touchscreens aren't really something I'm intending on using).

That all being said, the usual upgrade between the normal and the professional windows is more networking options (and some other more advanced features). If you're going to use distributed computing for rendering/encoding, then it might be worth it (assuming you cannot do it without the professional version - I haven't worked out how to do it but I haven't done anything that warrants hooking the other machines up), otherwise, probably not.

I've got a couple of friends who are knowledgeable in these subject. One I'll see in a few days and the other (who is more versed in Win8) in a little over a week. I'll ask them for their opinion if you don't find an answer in the mean time.

Alternatively, you could always google?

Back