• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Will my actors care if my camera is garbage?

im about to shoot my first big project with real actors from craigslist, and all i have is a junk canon hg20 that i bought for $200. do you think they will care or notice that its a piece of garbage? im gonna rent a crane and steadicam tho

Are you paying the actors? What are they expecting?

If you've led them to believe you're shooting on RED, or that this is a bigger production than it really is, they may be a bit surprised when you show up with a handycam. That said, if you are paying them, then they should just do as they are told.

Are you paying the actors? What are they expecting?

If you've led them to believe you're shooting on RED, or that this is a bigger production than it really is, they may be a bit surprised when you show up with a handycam. That said, if you are paying them, then they should just do as they are told.

when i made the craigslist posting i think i made it sound a little too professional, in reality its just me and my brother :D

Based on my experience most of the actors are not so technical focused so I think the camera will not matter. Actually in my feature movie the actress asked me if the movie will be ready in one months time, 70 minutes feature :D

But you should think about the audio and how do you oparate the camera to get best out of it. Using the camera´s own microphone is really bad idea.

I think actors who have done a few shorts already, should be able to tell that the camera does not make a difference always. I've done a lot of practice with my Canon T2i, and I have been able to get a more cinematic look, than a feature I acted in, shot with a much bigger digital cinema type camera, which looked a lot more home video or news camera style by comparison. Not sure what it was called but it was a Panasonic. So I for one know that it's not the camera that necessarily matters, it's how you shoot with it, and I will trust a camera person with a DSLR no different than a more cinematic looking camera.

Last edited:
It shouldn't matter, but it absolutely does. Actors will arrive on set expecting to see you as 'professional' as they see themselves. Your demeanor, level of preparation, crew, food and equipment all make an impression on the actors.

Regards,

Thomas

Mostly agree with Rok WRT the equipment, but totally with the rest of it.

Have a basic camera but clearly be prepared, in charge, competent with your gear, ready with the various challenges for a shoot (as in food, conveniences, etc) will make the difference.

Gear helps, but planning everything out and knowing your gear (and your personal) limitations and being able to compensate for them out weighs that as far as people's perception I think.

Actors are used to "hurry up and wait", but if they start to feel it's because you're not prepared or don't know what you're going to do next, versus actually setting up the next shot, you'll lose them very quickly.

CraigL

If you pay and feed your cast and crew properly, handle your equipment well, and shoot quickly and efficiently, they will not care. If they do care, then get someone else. Someone should not judge an artist by what they paint with, but how they paint.

Also, if you really like the actor and think they are perfect for the role, but they care about the camera, there's a solution. Tell them it's a new up and coming style of filmmaking similar to Dogme 95 filmmaking. :D

Based on my experience most of the actors are not so technical focused so I think the camera will not matter....

Actually, I'd guess the complete opposite would be true. If the actors don't understand that it is possible to produce really nice images from a consumer camera, when they turniup on set and see a handycam being used (or even a dSLR, in some cases) they may consider the whole production, as well as the filmmakers, as unprofessional.

I'd suggest always talking to cast and crew about the equipment being used, so nobody has any unpleasant surprises.

If you pay and feed your cast and crew properly, handle your equipment well, and shoot quickly and efficiently, they will not care. If they do care, then get someone else. Someone should not judge an artist by what they paint with, but how they paint.

This. The sense of professionalism that the actors get from you should come from you, your approach to taking care of your cast and your crew, the way you run your set, your script, your attention to craft, etc. Conduct yourself as a professional and the camera you are using shouldn't matter to them.

Having said that, you will run into actors who will care what camera you are using, even though they shouldn't. It's really going to depend on the individual actor in question.

Focus on leading a clean, respectful, professional, and efficient set and they will forget all about what camera you are using 10 minutes into the first setup.

If you are renting support gear, make sure to give yourself time before your shoot to familiarize myself with it. An actor will get far more perturbed waiting for a crew to muck around with a jib they're (the crew) not sure how to build than they will over what camera is being put on said jib.

Best of luck on your shoot!

You're in Los Angeles. This is going to be a problem. If you tried
to attract a specific level of actors by making your project seem
more "professional" than it really is, those actors will care. And
they will notice. Many actors are willing to work on very small
projects if the people involved are open and upfront and honest
and the script is good and the production fun. I know a lot of
actors - one conversation I hear often is actors getting an audition
and being thrilled until they find out it isn't what they expect.
None care if it's a small project (just brothers using a $200 camera)
as long as they weren't mislead into thinking it was something else.

Everyone is correct that what cast (and crew) care about is the
right project with the right people. However, in your, specific, case
you may have a problem since when you made the Craigslist posting
you made it sound a little too professional. Perhaps "a little" will
create some issues with some actors.

Back