• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Will it ever be easier to sell screenplays?

All I ever read is that this is extremely hard and it's getting harder by the minute. It's very discouraging to hear this and it seems like the hardest task ever. Do you think this will ever become a little easier now that the economy is recovering, or will this still be the stuff of dreams?

Mmmh, interesting and heated discussion.;) I think there is a clear answer: YES.
There are more and more super low budget productions and they will need a script. But most of them will be made with a restricted budget under 100k USD. As a screenwriter this will give you some thousand bucks for a half years work at best. More likely your sales will be in the range of some hundred dollars. So, the other answer, if your target is the big theatre film is:NO. As can be seen in this discussion, its hard to find ANY unknown writer who selled a script to "hollywood".

the shortest path to selling a spec script to a studio would be to acquire the rights to a franchise with a built in fan base.

Lucky, you are so spot on. The only problem, from my understanding, is quite often, once a book hits the/a bestseller list, those rights are often picked up by one of the studios.

It reminds me of a situation I was in a couple of months ago. An actor approached me, wanting to increase production value and continue putting together some fan fiction video of a piece that hadn't yet been turned into a Hollywood production, but a studio had already picked up the rights and was flailing as it had been pushed back into development at least twice. The fact that it had a fairly large fan base (7 figured I believe) and the story was interesting and the studio was in allowing fan material to be produced to help solidify their base. In the end she got cold feet after it was painfully obvious that we'd never acquire the rights to exploit the material and pulled out. She came back with another author who was more than happy to hand over his rights and have it turned into a web series/feature film/tv/anything really... It had the fan base in the hundreds (yes, 3 figures!). The material was ordinary and no fan base to boost its appeal, it was dead in the water.

Can anyone name any recent spec scripts written by a writer without previous credits and purchased by a major studio? There is The Disciple Program. Are there any others?

Two more:

Warner Bros Buys Spec Script About Math Genius Alan Turing For Leonardo DiCaprio
http://www.deadline.com/2011/10/war...because-leonardo-di-caprio-chasing-lead-role/

Warner Bros Acquires Spec Script ‘Somacell’
http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/warner-bros-acquires-spec-script-somacell/

Can anyone name any recent spec scripts written by a writer without previous credits and purchased by a major studio? There is The Disciple Program. Are there any others?

Omega Point — Cameron Alexander - CBS Films - April 2013
Section 6 — Aaron Berg - Universal Pictures - Oct. 2013
Time Tweaker - David Crabtree - Lionsgate - Dec. 2013
Deprivation — Jason Doty - Focus Features - July 2013

Lucky, you are so spot on. The only problem, from my understanding, is quite often, once a book hits the/a bestseller list, those rights are often picked up by one of the studios.

It reminds me of a situation I was in a couple of months ago. An actor approached me, wanting to increase production value and continue putting together some fan fiction video of a piece that hadn't yet been turned into a Hollywood production, but a studio had already picked up the rights and was flailing as it had been pushed back into development at least twice. The fact that it had a fairly large fan base (7 figured I believe) and the story was interesting and the studio was in allowing fan material to be produced to help solidify their base. In the end she got cold feet after it was painfully obvious that we'd never acquire the rights to exploit the material and pulled out. She came back with another author who was more than happy to hand over his rights and have it turned into a web series/feature film/tv/anything really... It had the fan base in the hundreds (yes, 3 figures!). The material was ordinary and no fan base to boost its appeal, it was dead in the water.

I dredge the mountains of e-books mining for undiscovered gold. I see a lot of pyrite (fool's gold). By approaching the authors that are self/e-publishing, I can score bargain basement prices before the studios/general public know anything about the books. Two of the e-books that I acquired are being prepared for physical publication (one historical fiction and one sci-fi). If the audience responds well, I will hash out first drafts of the adaptations and see what happens. The fact that these books are going to hard copy publication is a good thing. Studios are in the business of risk mitigation. By focusing on properties that have a built in fan base and have been vetted by others, they reduce the risk to their investment.

ETA: If you have seen The Wolf of Wall Street, I am wagering on the penny stocks.

Last edited:
It seems to me that the shortest path to selling a spec script to a studio would be to acquire the rights to a franchise with a built in fan base. If you are diligent and persistent, you just might get lucky and catch a newly published author who has the makings of a great franchise and talk them into selling/granting you the adaptation rights before the franchise takes off and becomes viable to the studios. At that point, you are positioned to break in. It can be done. I own the rights to several published books. At this point, I am working on increasing the exposure of those books and polishing my screenwriting skills. Someday I may find myself in the very position that I describe.

There is another option. Instead of trying to buy the rights to a franchise with a built in base, ...just exploit a "built in base" that already exist. I am exploiting the "Star Trek" base. Trekies are loyal followers of the S.S. Enterprise and her exploits. There is a certain motif found within that draws a loyal crowd. My screenplay is not Star Trek by any stretch based on its design, but anyone who likes Star Trek, Preditor and Kill Bill would probably like this movie.

True, Hollywood likes to go with something that has already been proven to work before. Just give them what they want, ...but with a different twist.

-Birdman

screenwriting is becoming ever increasing competitive and if you dont engage the producer's interest its highly likely you hard sweet and toil is going to go to waste, in the waste busket.Ask yourself this how would you feel being bombarded with thousands of scripts, so stop wasting your time and get good advice with this free report at this site

.www.screenplaywritingfordummies.info

so stop wasting your time and get good advice with this free report at this site

Some of us will remember this guy http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=43816
and this exact same free report.

Take a look at the 14th post by nandc. This is one of those "make money
on the internet!" come-ons. I'm tempted to ask SolidScript about this
free report, but I suspect he has never read it.

Some of us will remember this guy http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=43816
and this exact same free report.

Take a look at the 14th post by nandc. This is one of those "make money
on the internet!" come-ons. I'm tempted to ask SolidScript about this
free report, but I suspect he has never read it.

I agree with Directorik, this kind of website is a joke. They all look the same, and promise you all of the knowledge in the world, provided of course, you sign up and give them your email. Plus, it's a generated site by OptimizePress, which is a marketing company that specializes in creating websites like this that you see all over.

I see these kind of sites all the time in the recording/music forums I'm a part of. "Sign Up Today And Learn How To Sell Your Sound To A Label in 3 Easy Steps!" ;)

Back