• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Widescreen

How does one get widescreen using FCP without using the templates that cut portions off the shot?
I have a Canon XH1s and I've read that it's a setting on the camera that's later changed in post, but
I don't quite get it.
So if anyone could do a "shooting in widescreen for dummies" for me that'd be great!
Thanks in advanced.

IN your camera menu, set the aspect ratio to 16.9, after that just set your preferences up in FCP. I you have already brought clips in that are shot 4.3 you need to right click on the clip and then click properties. When that window opens check anamorfic that will change them to what you are looking for

You need to set your camera for 16x9 in it's settings, then set your software for 16x9 widescreen.

Some cameras (not your Canon) have a "Letterbox" which confuses the issue because it is a standard sized frame (meaning 4:3 aspect ratio) but has black bars on the top and bottom, so on a standard television, it maintains the proper shape of the image.

Thanks guys!
I've set my Signal STD to SD 16:9, but then it's not in HD which is the other option. If I don't use
the HD option will it not be in widescreen?
Also if I use the SD 16:9 option will it still be in HD (even though it states Standard Def)?

Back