Widescreen Monitor Benefits?

What are the benefits (if any) of a widescreen LCD computer monitor over a regular 4:3 ratio display?

I was thinking of getting one of those new Sony 17" with that nice shiny Xbrite stuff, but I also like Apple's widescreen displays.

Last edited:
Well, my laptop is a Vaio with a 16 in widescreen screen so I will give you my input and opinion. If you are planning on a widescreen project it is an advantage to see how it will look after rendering. The way it looks on your conventional computer monitor might not be the way it looks on a tv. A widescreen video monitor might work better than a regular monitor because it is more like a television, which gives you a more acurate image. But other than the fact that they look pretty and are more expensive there are not many differences.

Thats my opinion, but it can change often, and with all the new technologies coming out there may be some widescreen monitors that are geared more for video editing that have some other obvious advantages.

Obviously they wont make things go faster, but yes, more resolution means you can see more stuff on the screen. The benfit of the large widescreens is 1920x1080 or more resolution which means you will see every pixel on a high def film you may be working on.

I purchased an inexpensive Olevia HDTV. its 27 inches wide with VGA and DVI (Stretched, the 31 inch is true 16:9) and its pretty decent for viewing higher end HD, but the 1440x isnt that impressive.
But once your get up into the true HD monitors, None of the HD camcorders on the market under 5k are really that impressive. Not from what was demonstrated to me.

By the way. As a Computer monitor, Its truely awesome for 1000 bucks. alot better then the smaller computer monitors that go for nearly twice that. Plus, its a TV.

Make sure the plugs match your computer. Newer Apple displays have DVI, older ones have ADC. I have an Apple display, love it...no experience with the Dell displays.

If you can hold off I would wait until the most monitors get HDCP. HDCP is the component that will allow you to view protected HD content. With out HDCP you can't want protected HD content. Makes an expensive LCD monitor seem a little less useful.

-Chris
-----------
Writer / Director for the Los Angeles Independent Film Production Company Elysian Pictures a dynamic independent film company creating HD content.

DammitJanet said:
Ok. Well, I've got it narrowed down to either a 23 inch Dell or Apple display. Any suggestions on which one to go with?

I didnt mean to go off the subject, i was just pointing out the positive of having an LCD TV that looks as good as any of the smaller monitors and my TV costed half the price plus it has a built in tv reciver and Composite connections as well as surround sound external jacks.

here is probably one of the best Walk In Deals you can get for an Apple Monitor

4135203.box.GIF
. Apply computers are using the DVI inputs.

its 1400 bucks. Thats pretty cheap compared to the 5000 they costed a few years ago.

Now here is a 37 inch LCD TV with DVI input by Syntex.

4556387.box.GIF

this TV is 100 dollars cheaper then your apple and its nearly twice as large. and the TV output is 1366 but comes with a software driver cd so your computer resolution should actually be higher.

here is a samsung 32 inch that i've seen at Frys

4431486.box.GIF

its still 10 inches larger then the apple monitor and probably has 5 times the quality of a picture. it is a 1366 resolution but I believe the monitor drivers for your DVI input are actually higher when you use it as a computer monitor.

dont bother purchasing a monitor thats only designed for computers if you can get one that will be nearly as large as your field of view. trust me, it makes a big difference when working with graphic software or even playing an online video game.

edited:

As I was on outpost.com I came across my monitor/TV

I payed almost 1200 for it December of last year. Today it cost 699 bucks. Again, not a great TV (But i have analog Direct TV) but for a computer monitor, it's really decent. if you dont feel like forking out alot of money, this computer monitor is a good deal. Plus, Im using VGA since my computer doesnt support the newer DVI. Assuming you have an apple with DVI, you may want to get this, it might make a world of difference with DVI output (Or so Im told)

Last edited:
The variation in color reproduction may be an issue, make sure you test these other monitor/tvs to make sure the output colors match your expectations. caveat emptor.

Back