Why Filmmaking?

Because when it works, it's like magic. You create a world and make it live and breath. For a few minutes people fall into the world you've created, living in your story.

Plus it's hell of a lot of fun. You get to hang out with interesting people, play with fun toys, go to out of the way places and sometimes blow things up. What more could you ask from life?

Scott

scottspears said:
Because when it works, it's like magic. You create a world and make it live and breath. For a few minutes people fall into the world you've created, living in your story.

Plus it's hell of a lot of fun. You get to hang out with interesting people, play with fun toys, go to out of the way places and sometimes blow things up. What more could you ask from life?

Scott
that's a really cool way to look at it

My quick answer has always been "because I want to make people feel the same things I feel when I see a good movie." -- and I'm not referring to girl sitting next to me either.

T Shipley said:
My quick answer has always been "because I want to make people feel the same things I feel when I see a good movie." -- and I'm not referring to girl sitting next to me either.

hahaha..

directorlca said:
Hey Everyone, I just wanted to hear everyone's take on why they're into filmmaking, what they love about it. What draws you to this medium as opposed to other creative mediums?

It's the only way, I can think of, to get all this stuff out of my head.

Making films is like Playing Creator I guess.

you have control over your world and bring your visions to reality.

OK I suck at being poetic. Just because I can ;)

Poke said:
My attempt at seriousness:

I am fond of telling folks about a dream I had when I was four or five years old. It's my "I knew it when I was young" story. The dream was basically that I had a movie projector in my closet. That's it. And it wasn't even a real projector. From the visual I have in my head it seems more like a red box than a movie projector, but that's what it was in my dream.

I have always loved movies. Growing up, I dreamed of being Indiana Jones or Luke Skywalker, the quintessential American kid's dream. As I got older, my dreams shifted from wanting to be characters to wanting to play characters. I would make up jokes and try to entertain my family. This is where I learned that I have a knack for humor.

Somewhere along the line I actually decided that I wanted to be an actor. One big problem, I was terribly shy around people I didn't know. Mix that in with a conservative family and community and you got the makings of a kid who wants to be a star but would never dream of going for it because a) Hollywood is full of coked up sinners and b) goofy kids from Waco, TX do not become famous.

I have to admit that most of my life I let people tell me what I could and couldn't accomplish, then I came to the realization that they were all as much in the dark as I was.

It was around this time that I met a few film minded folks and I started my education in the art of film.

Since that realization I have had my ups and downs, but I no longer let people tell me that there is a limit to what I can accomplish. And I have learned that either through my own will or through divine appointment that my life depends on my filmmaking. What I mean is, I don't know if God placed me here to be a filmmaker or if I just want it so bad that I think that, but the only chance I have of living a full life is as a filmmaker.

Why filmmaking? Cause I can't imagine my life any other way.

Poke

You stole MY ANSWER!! Damnit... :D :P

Last edited:
Back