Why does my laptop hum?

I just bought a new ASUS laptop for 12 hundred and its pretty sick, but for somereason it makes this extremely loud humming noise..

i thought maybe it was when other electronics are near it but that theory was proved wrong, or when you hold it on the bottom.. but that was wrong too..

the humming usually happens when i go to move it and ll immediatly put it back to where it was and it goes away.. is starts low then gets really loud really fast..

it was also happening when i was in fruity loops messing aroud with the recording and my speakers.. i would turn on my speakers to tlk into and it would pick up the faintest hum and keep bouncing it back and froth till it gets ear piercing..

i have no idea why this happens or if my laptop is difective.. anyone?

OH another question! if you guys watched that video ^^ of my laptop humming, also take notice to how shitty the quality of the video is.. but that also came from my canon that i film with standard acceptable quality.. but for some reason sometimes my clips are so shitty and it fucks up eerything.. whyyy haha wth!

Yeah, that is definitely microphone feedback. Definitely take it back and exchange it. Onboard mics always suck, but they should NOT be causing feedback like that, doubly so if you disable them. You can try one last way to disable it, right click on "my computer" go to the device manager and under the "sound, video and game controllers" there should be your microphone. If you disable it there and the feedback stops, that's definitely your issue (does it only do it with the lid closed? It sounds like your mic is next to your webcam, so closing it puts it in close proximity to the speakers, and thus the feedback).

Either way, take it back, exchange it for a new one or cash back. That's sort of a shame; on the hardware end of things, Asus used to make great motherboards. Shame the laptop is so wonky for you.

aye i did what you said with right clicking computer and it worked.. so i guess just turn it on wheneer i wanna use my mic? nd should i still send it back? i have work on it that i dont really wanna lose

Your call. I have never ever used a microphone on a laptop, but I'm a musician and I ALWAYS have a better mic somewhere! That said, I'd take it back on principle, but that's just me. If everything else is fine (and again, there's little reason to use an onboard mic), no reason you can't keep it!

Yeah, that is definitely microphone feedback. Definitely take it back and exchange it. Onboard mics always suck, but they should NOT be causing feedback like that, doubly so if you disable them. You can try one last way to disable it, right click on "my computer" go to the device manager and under the "sound, video and game controllers" there should be your microphone. If you disable it there and the feedback stops, that's definitely your issue (does it only do it with the lid closed? It sounds like your mic is next to your webcam, so closing it puts it in close proximity to the speakers, and thus the feedback).

Either way, take it back, exchange it for a new one or cash back. That's sort of a shame; on the hardware end of things, Asus used to make great motherboards. Shame the laptop is so wonky for you.

I wouldnt recommend that. Youre probably going to uninstall more than just the microphone.

Its just feedback, theres nothing wrong with the laptop!!!!!

Any mic will feedback if you turn the gain up enough. Mute the mic and/or turn the volume of it all the way down. Plus you have it closed in the video which moves the mic closer to the speakers making the feedback easier to achieve.

Go to start>control panel>Sound>Recording
Double click the microphone icon
Click on the Listen tab
Uncheck Listen to this device

This will tell Windows not to monitor (play back) the mic signal through the speakers and will eliminate the feedback.

Last edited:
they are disbled y friend did that and nothing changed.. i did what joshl said, it worked but then i wasnt able to hear anyyyyttthhhiinnggg ha..

buuuut i did just go thru all the settings nd when to control panel, hardware and sound, then realtek hd audio manager and turned down the output all the way, and kept theregular speakers working and now theres no more hum! :) sick!

Back