Why does crowdfunding sites have no real films?

I mean i thought everyone was making movies. its cheaper now. yet no starts to films no real trailers . not much that looks like real films. I dont get it

They are there, but not all the time: campaigns end and more and more people realise it is not easy money.
Iron Sky 2 raised around 600k.
(Although that is not their only funding.)

I mean i thought everyone was making movies. its cheaper now.

Movie making is certainly cheaper now than it's ever been. But, making a GOOD movie is just as expensive as it's ever been. Not only does technology improve (which can make aspects of filmmaking cheaper) but so too does the consumers' concept of "good"!

Crowdfunding is not (at least yet) the most efficient means of raising substantial film funding. In the majority (maybe vast majority) of cases, it would be more like a last resort.

G

Movie making is certainly cheaper now than it's ever been. But, making a GOOD movie is just as expensive as it's ever been. Not only does technology improve (which can make aspects of filmmaking cheaper) but so too does the consumers' concept of "good"!

Crowdfunding is not (at least yet) the most efficient means of raising substantial film funding. In the majority (maybe vast majority) of cases, it would be more like a last resort.

G

movies are worse now. and not that hard to make. i'm making one that looks better than whats on kickstarter. So i dont get it. Consumers are obviously accepting crap movies now.

What are other ways to get money? ( not that its needed to make a film quite frankly)

btw, define 'real films' :P

According to my observations, crowdfunding is mostly used as either a means to build a fanbase while 95% of the funding comes through the old ways or for debuts and/or low budget and/or 'arthouse'/'indie' films.
Studios don't crowdfund, but sometimes a successful crowdfunding campaign convinces a studio to pick up a project, since a very successful campaign is a strong indication that there is indeed a demand for that movie.

APE is most likely referring to spectacle and suspension of disbelieve.
Old James Bond movies sound like recorded in a can; that was okay. If Spectre would sound like that people would be put off. And if you take into account that a lot of people have pretty decent sound in their living room, the audience standards for sound quality have become higher. Plus the increase of channels in the surround environment of a cinema did add complexity and labour time to the sound department.
Same goes for spectacle: boundaries of awe and possibilities are moved further and further each year. Making a SF film with the effects looking like 1977 Star Wars will not awe the audience, while back then it was unseen before and very impressive.
These things keep costs high for such movies, eventhough technology has made cameras and editing machines cheaper.

I'm pretty curious what you are making.
Do you have a release date planned?

btw, define 'real films' :P

According to my observations, crowdfunding is mostly used as either a means to build a fanbase while 95% of the funding comes through the old ways or for debuts and/or low budget and/or 'arthouse'/'indie' films.
Studios don't crowdfund, but sometimes a successful crowdfunding campaign convinces a studio to pick up a project, since a very successful campaign is a strong indication that there is indeed a demand for that movie.

APE is most likely referring to spectacle and suspension of disbelieve.
Old James Bond movies sound like recorded in a can; that was okay. If Spectre would sound like that people would be put off. And if you take into account that a lot of people have pretty decent sound in their living room, the audience standards for sound quality have become higher. Plus the increase of channels in the surround environment of a cinema did add complexity and labour time to the sound department.
Same goes for spectacle: boundaries of awe and possibilities are moved further and further each year. Making a SF film with the effects looking like 1977 Star Wars will not awe the audience, while back then it was unseen before and very impressive.
These things keep costs high for such movies, eventhough technology has made cameras and editing machines cheaper.

I'm pretty curious what you are making.
Do you have a release date planned?

its harder to sell script now. so i guess your saying its hard to get a film financed in general.

Im' just trying to make a large film on my own over time.ITs been pushed a bit. having some time . persisting and asking is the key.

Back