Why do most 'indie'/low budget films fall down?

Hi, Kholi. I love your reels and trailer. I've been following your posts on the BMCC with great interest. For the greenscreen and post FX I do, I like the color space and resolution. I can deal with the battery limitation and crop factor.

Thanks man. Awesome to hear that from a vet!

It's strange, the battery thing is how I've been working since RED, and specifically the bebob plate. I've never seen it as a limitation that the camera never has to power off. Ever.

Battery charges the internal cell when it's plugged in, take it off and go stealth when you need to or put the battery on. That's a major plus for me. Especially when I go to one man band like this past two days.

Talent, not tools

The idea of spending 1/3 of a $10K budget on a camera makes my teeth hurt. Classic "marketing victim" trap. Spend your money on an experienced DP, a great DP can take a consumer video camera and create beautiful images that will knock your eye out. Saw Allen Daviau do it with a short called "Sweet" back when the first Sony DV camcorders came out. Back when I used to do AFI workshops, one of the things I'd do is show a beautiful shot done on a cheap home camcorder by a great DP next to a poorly done shot on an expensive camera.

On my last film we were offered the chance to use the (then brand new) SI 2K cam but there was no established workflow and I was more worried about "beta" tech problems than the extra resolution, we opted to use the CineAlta instead. Established workflow, the DP knew the camera inside and out.

Love all the new, high-end, inexpensive gear these days but it is knowing how to use it that makes the magic on screen. The marketers make their money convincing you that the latest camera will turn you into Spielberg, but that only lasts until next year's model comes out.

London, if you need to be 100% satisfied with your first film you will never do anything. I've known a lot of directors -- of movies you've seen in the theatres -- and not a one of them was EVER satisfied with a movie. It's part of the drive that helps us learn and do better.

Back