Why do actors act and filmmakers film?

Are they not afriad of death? Do they think they're invincible or immortal somehow? Is it just to teach? What if you have nothing more to teach? What about adding value to their own lives knowing that death can happen any second? That's like fooling around, having fun, getting drunk and then a car accident.

So why do they?

I was in the same boat as you man, less than a year ago. I was wrapping up my VCE and I was heart set on doing music. Then all of a sudden I realized that I had this hidden talent and passion for filming stuff haha.
I had done several short films just out of boredom, one of them won a local competition and I was working on the Year 12 DVD like you!
So I decided, screw it I'm going to make it in this profession. It wasn't as impulsive as that, but thats basically what got me into looking at film schools.

Now I've got a scholarship in a Melbourne film school and I'm absolutely loving the course and the people doing it with me.

Just go with what you feel. Even if its not film, you can always come back to it man. VCE and your enter score is overated. You can do whatever the hell you want to.

Remember that ;)

I know this not a great answer but coming from my own experience as a producer, director, actor, and screenwriter, I'd say we do the things we do for two reasons, one because we want to and the second, because we need to. It is what we do, it is what we were meant to do at the time we are doing it. It is the thing that nurtures us.

Back