Who works alone doing video production?

I’ve started in the last few years getting into video production. I went to school for it, and grew tired of never finding a job or in some way of getting experience. I’ve realize that I need to make my own “experience”. I’ve done small things here and there, but nothing I would consider career making. I would like to go out and start making my own projects, possibly making documentaries, and short films. I have the camera, sound recorder, and I’m working on getting a good lighting set, the only thing I don’t have is a crew.

I’m wondering if anyone here does video production on their own, and if you do, how do you handle all the task(if you do everything). Any tricks to not get overwhelmed, or even equipment that helps you get certain things done faster. I know some are going to say, well you can find people online to help you out, but lets just humor me and say I’m totally on my own for whatever reason that may be.

I am thinking about starting a project were I document some of the non profits in my area, in that case I will need help, but I don’t have the money to pay someone. I’ve tried finding other films to work on, but I have a full time job and I can’t just take off to Boston on a Wednesday to be someone’s production assistant(which I wouldn’t mind doing). I’m in a tough spot, I can’t afford to quit my job to focus on something that I won’t be making any money off from(at least not anytime soon), but if I want to focus on this full time then I would need to ditch the job.

How should I get started, I’m tired of just reading about filmmaking I actually want to, you know do it. I am at the moment writing a short film that I can shoot here in my little apartment, I'm actually excited since I have some cool ideas I want to work on. But one cannot stay in their apartment all their life :lol:

I don't do it solo. I'm always part of a team, so you can either keep or discard this advice:

Since it'll be your project, just ensure whatever you choose to do is within your reach. If you're doing it solo, don't design anything that needs more than yourself. For instance, designing a complicated car chase scenes, or other equally difficult scenes isn't in your tool box, so don't even bother writing them in. What I mean is write for what is within your reach.

Other than that, go slowly. When you've got a skeleton crew, things move slowly. I'd assume even more so if you're going solo.

Have fun and learn lots.

I attempted it but I also found I prefer to work with a team. You can only work on one aspect at a time - focus on getting good video and your sound will undoubtedly suffer. Also, all the prep work (setting up lighting etc) takes significantly longer when you're the only one doing it, and sometimes your talent/subject doesn't have the time or patience. I offended a somewhat famous actor by making him wait, all because I was stupidly trying to juggle sound and camera by myself.

Know what you're able to do by yourself and, more importantly, what you're not.

On a side note you mention Boston. If you're in the area and want to collaborate let me know via private message. i'm also a weekend warrior as far as video is concerned (I have a full time boring office job and a family) and always interested in new projects in town.

I've worked solo on small corporate gigs - stuff where there's a few sit-down interviews combined with b-roll that doesn't need much sound. You could do simple short documentaries in the same style.

It's certainly doable, but it's a lot of work, and even on simple stuff like that I much prefer to have at least one person acting as a PA if possible. Even in a controlled, sit-down interview where you have the time to light ahead of time, and have the camera locked down, it's difficult to conduct an interview - you have to glance over at the camera and/or audio recorder on a regular basis to make sure everything is running smoothly. That inevitably distracts your subject slightly which can mess up your shot because they'll tend to glance over at the camera when you do.

That said - if you're doing it as a means to just learn the basics, and not expecting to produce the greatest films ever, it's still worth doing it for the practice if it's the only option right now (it's certainly better than not doing anything). Just know that you'll be quite limited in the scope of work you can do, and that eventually you'll need to start working with other people if you want to continue improving your skills.

I do music videos effectively on my own. I occasionally use a grip if there are special setups that need to be done (zip line for my GoPro, for example). Music video means I don't have to record sound beyond a scratch track for lining things up (in-camera audio and built-in microphone is more than adequate for that). It's more time-consuming since you have to set everything up yourself (including lighting, etc.), but it's doable.

One thing I learned is to forget camera-logging on set. Just get as much coverage as you can and then sit down afterward and go through it all and make notes then. It's more time-consuming in the long run, but taking time to log each shot while the band is fired up to play or whatever is counter-productive.

I think it also depends on the audience for your final film. If it's only going to be shown online, then you can cut more corners because a lot of issues are covered up by video and audio compression, small screens, bad speakers to begin with, etc. I hate to say it, and I know I may catch some flack from the sound people here, but audio in web video just isn't as important. As long as there's nothing glaringly wrong with it, I think most people are pretty forgiving. In-camera audio sounds fine on my computer speakers or playing out of my iPhone, though I know that on any kind of decent audio system it'll sound like crap incarnate. Is it ideal? Of course not. But if it's between filming something with mediocre audio that's only going to go up online or not filming anything at all, then I'll take the mediocre audio. This obviously does not apply if you're planning on entering festivals or showing it anywhere but YouTube, Vimeo, et al. Just something to keep in mind.

I am in a similar situation. Most of my friends aren't interested in filmmaking, so I tend to tackle most of my projects on my own. My best advice would be to get multiple tri-pods and clamps everything to them. Microphone/ lights/ reflectors, etc., that way you can solely focus on the camera.

At this point, it shouldn't matter whether your projects come out good or bad. The important thing is that you're actually making movies, instead of saying you want to make movies. Take whatever you filmed and use it as practice. Practice your writing. Practice your editing. Practice your camera movements/ angles. Use it to learn and sharpen your skills that way you'll be ready for an actual production.

Good luck.

I have done both things, gone solo(which is kind of a lie) and been part of a team I assembled.

Solo: when I go solo I usually have 1 actor friend act and he helps me out with everything he can so its solo but with his help, if you do docu style things don't worry, its meant to be 1 person, if you have a shotgun mic and cam just do it!

Team: well for commercials my team works great but its usually Production, Make up, PA and myself.
Now: I'm currently pre producing my film. My best friend told me when I started "You will do everything yourself, no one wants to make this film as much as you, even if you pay them and you will work harder than ever before" and he was right, I have done everything myself up until now but I would not trade it for my old video editing job, yes there are more hours and less money but I love it and its worth it.

Have I ever produced/directed a feature film? no, but I'm not the first or the last guy to go through this.

Don't go by the hollywood norms, you are not in hollywood, do what you need to do to get it done, I wasted years trying to assemble a great crew and finding a producer(I hate producing) to produce my stuff (paid) and well as soon as I decided to do everything my self I can tell you I have not gotten this far into the movie ever!

JUST DO IT!

I have my own video production company.
I run my business on my own, but on most projects I work with a team.
Like IDOM says: small corporate gigs with interviews (lavs!) and some b-roll can perfectly be done solo. But it's nicer to work in a team :)
My next corporate gig I'll be working alone (budget didn't allow for 2nd person on set), but I arranged that one of the employees will help me with carrying stuff around. :)

I figured the general consensus would be that its harder. I'll just do what I can and hopefully in time I'll get good enough where I can do bigger projects, by then I'll get a bigger team. Thanks for the posts :)

Back