• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Who has done Comcast cable commercials?

OK, wrapping up this cable commercial I shot and have some post questions.

First, yes, I'm trying to get a contact number for the local comcast spotlight tech guys, but so far no luck. I do have their tech specs with the number of seconds of bars an tone, slate, etc...

In Nashville it says they will accept DVD submissions that will play on a set top DVD player.

"DVD VIDEO submissions are accepted, but MUST
fulfill the aforementioned tape requirements including
bars & tone, slate information, frame accuracy and
ending in black. DVDs are dubbed to tape prior to
encoding thus requiring a charge.
If the DVD is not DVD Video and will not play in a set
top DVD player then it will be refused and a replacement
will be requested."

Does anyone have any Comcast experience? Any idea if I need to do some kind of pulldown to put the 24P in a 29.97 wrapper? Any other gotchas?

OK, wrapping up this cable commercial I shot and have some post questions.

First, yes, I'm trying to get a contact number for the local comcast spotlight tech guys, but so far no luck. I do have their tech specs with the number of seconds of bars an tone, slate, etc...

In Nashville it says they will accept DVD submissions that will play on a set top DVD player.

"DVD VIDEO submissions are accepted, but MUST
fulfill the aforementioned tape requirements including
bars & tone, slate information, frame accuracy and
ending in black. DVDs are dubbed to tape prior to
encoding thus requiring a charge.
If the DVD is not DVD Video and will not play in a set
top DVD player then it will be refused and a replacement
will be requested."

Does anyone have any Comcast experience? Any idea if I need to do some kind of pulldown to put the 24P in a 29.97 wrapper? Any other gotchas?

Yes, you need to have the 23.97 moved to a 60i Non-Drop format for broadcast. Not sure how much of a stickler Comcast is, but make sure you do it properly.

Depending on the station, format may be:

10 black
30 bars
10 Slate
10 black

Your 30 or 60 should start exactly at 01:00:00:00 and not a frame earlier or later.

Make sure your IRE is proper for broadcast/delivery specs or it may get rejected.

Thanks Kholi, yes, the Nashville Specs are

10 sec. of color bars and 1k tone
:08 sec. of slate
:02 sec. of black
:30 FULL seconds of program
:10 sec. of black

I have the start and end of the commercial correct to the frame. Never dealt with putting anything in a 60i wrapper before, so this may be an adventure.

Last edited:
Thanks Kholi, yes, the Nashville Specs are

10 sec. of color bars and 1k tone
:08 sec. of slate
:02 sec. of black
:30 FULL seconds of program
:10 sec. of black

I have the start and end of the commercial correct to the frame. Never dealt with putting anything in a 60i wrapper before, so this maybe an adventure.

We usually outsource our delivery, but when we've done it in FCP it was pretty simple. We've also got a deck here so any time I could just lay it to tape then ingest again and that will do the trick.

Lots of headache.

Good reason to shoot 29.97 (30) from the get-go. IMO, though, I can't wait until the day when everyone's television set can handle progressive and we're no longer dealing with old methods of distributing content to homes.

I considered 29.97, but discovered most high end commercials were/are still shot on film so I figured, well there must be a way to make it work. I'm sure Comcast techs would do all of this, for an additional fee.

Back