• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

White flash transition for trailers

Trailers often use this white flash for quick dramatic transitions. It's accompanied typically by a audio effect that is like a muffled fragment of an explosion. This is a very common effect in trailers. I think Vegas does the white flash part, but I was wondering where you get the audio part. Anyone know?

+1 freesound.org - Search "swish" "woosh" "swoosh" etc.

You don't necessarily need a prebuilt transition. Just take a solid white image or color matte, have it start at the cut, and fade out over 8-12 frames. Experiment with different lengths to get what you like.

Yeah, that's called a "dip to white". You'll see dips to black, WAY more often, maybe not so much for dramatic effect, but because the edit would be wonky without it.

For sound effects, you might want to check out Videocopilot Pro Scores. It's pretty awesome. And rather inexpensive, considering all you get.

I'm having hot flashes about my white flashes. I don't like them...
I used freesound as placeholders but would like to get those copilot effects.
I'm a Vegas guy.
Thanks for the advice.

I'm having hot flashes about my white flashes. I don't like them...
I used freesound as placeholders but would like to get those copilot effects.
I'm a Vegas guy.
Thanks for the advice.

Pro Scores doesn't require any particular editing software. It's a bunch of music, and musical sound-effects. Not software, not a plug-in, just a bunch of audio files that will totally work with Vegas. :)

Pro Scores doesn't require any particular editing software. It's a bunch of music, and musical sound-effects. Not software, not a plug-in, just a bunch of audio files that will totally work with Vegas. :)

It has the loops for everything, too, so you can build your own stuff with Acid, Audition, or whatever you have that lets you build with loops.

Yes, I've actually heard some of them and they're great. I was references the visual white flashes in my last post.

I didn't want the loops to go unmentioned from CF's post. To me, that's the coolest part. Anyhow, back to the white flash, The best ones I've seen are animations instead of transitions. The animations build in intensity and leave a burn as they dissipate.

If you want a "flash", don't use a built in color transition. They default with an even amount of frames on both sides. For a flash, you want a hard start for the white, maybe. 1 or two drake fade up. Again, followed by an 8-12 frame fade out.

If you want a "flash", don't use a built in color transition. They default with an even amount of frames on both sides. For a flash, you want a hard start for the white, maybe. 1 or two drake fade up. Again, followed by an 8-12 frame fade out.

Okay maybe that's why my flashes look sucky. the fade in and out are the same length more or less. So a 1 or 2 frames on fade in and then 8-12 on fade out. So how many a full frame? about 1 second worth? Less? !2 frames at 24p perhaps?

Back