• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Which recording has more noise?

The first has more overall noise. The second has less noise in the mid/high band but a high pitched (maybe 8-10k) whistle which is distracting. In addition, there's seems to be more low end rubble in the second one. If I was choosing between which to use, I'd likely take the first and apply noise reduction.

Can't really tell but I doubt the low rubble was caused by the preamp. Sounds like the room. More likely the first was recorded with high pass engaged, and the second one without or the preamp in the first part is not sensitive to low end.

I can't think of a time when recording on set, that I did not have high pass engaged, although depending on the source, I'll use a 80hz or 120hz cutoff.

Okay thanks. When you say low end rubble, are you referring to a sound produced by the mic or pre-amps themselves, or by a sound that was actually in the room, when recorded?

Yes, it does sound a little more distorted. Althought I'd guess it's not technically distortion, but the natural sound of the throat vibrating. I can't say which one is better, it depends on what kind of an effect you're aiming for.

Okay well both screams, are the same and are both mine. I assume my throat was vibrating in both, since I tried to scream as loud as I could. So if it is my throat, then that one is better quality, but if it is not, then it's audio distortion.

Back