Which Mic?

I'm looking to pick up an external mic for my Nikon D5100. I've narrowed it down to the Pro-24CM and the ECZ-990. Both are about the same price $60 and $69. Both have the same review rating. Almost nothing, except their physical aspects sets them apart from what I can see.

From what I can tell, the biggest difference is the size/shape. The Pro-24CM is shorter(4.5" vs 6") and sits a little lower, so seems like it'd be better on a DSLR. But, the ECZ-990 weighs a little less and use a more convenient AAA battery - not that buying some LR44's in bulk would be hard. I feel like it'd be more fitting to use the Pro-24CM on a DSLR, unless the ECZ-990 has something going for it that I don't know about.

Why do you want an external mic? What type of projects will you be doing?

Mounting a "better" mic on your camera will only marginally improve your audio. The Pro-24CM is a high impedence stereo mic - stereo mics are NOT recommended for capturing dialog; dialog is always captured in mono. And I'm normally not one to trash a vendor, but Azden gear has a terrible reputation.

Both units are aimed at consumers/hobbyists and should in no way be considered if you want to do serious filmmaking. To properly capture dialog the mic should be boomed.

I'm really just looking for an improvement over the in camera mic. I'm just doing filmmaking as a hobby. It's not something I'm persuing as a career.

I may or may not start making shorts to enter into film festivals.

More than twice that you want to spend, but I would recommend the Rode Video Mic (the VM Pro is about four times your budget) but will have future applications if you decide to upgrade to a better mic in the future.

If you must go really cheap you may want to consider the Audio-Technica ATR6550 if you will be capturing dialog; dialog is always captured in mono.

Just remember that you will get much better audio if you get the mic off of the camera and on to a boom-pole.

The Rode Video Mic was the original mic I looked into, but couldn't justify spending that much right now.

I'm hoping for a decent(for me) pay check on the 22nd, and I've got something I'm trying to sell that should put $475 in my pocket. After all that, it might be in my budget.

Artificial - I agree with AA - at $136, the original Rode Videomic is probably the best value for money self-powered mic for prosumers. Respectfully, though, I still like my $85 Azden SMX-10 a lot. Yes, it's an Azden, and yes, it's stereo, but I sometimes record music as well as dialogue and have gotten pretty good results.

If you do get a mono mic like the ATR-6550, you will need a $3.60 mono to stereo adapter to plug it into the stereo jack on your camera - otherwise, you'll have audio on only one channel.

Cheers and good luck,

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Back