Which License from Whom?

Hi Everyone,

There’s something I’m puzzled about (again); could you, please, help me? :blush:

I know the 3 types of licenses (and it seems for me that the license to screen a song publicly in a film can be included in the other 2.)

Permission is needed from the authors, the owner of the recording, and the performer, and I know the recording license is to be obtained from the owner of the recording (a publisher).

It's the rest which is unclear. Which license do I obtain from whom?

Do I have to request the synchronization rights from the authors, the owner of the recording, as well as the performer?

And do I need to ask for the rights to the recording from the performer, too?

Could you, please, clear up my confusion? :huh: Thank you in advance!

If you're looking to license a well-known tune, you don't really need to get your answers here. The big publishing companies like Harry Fox won't really talk to you without going through a lawyer anyway. So just ask your lawyer when you hire them, or let them handle it altogether. :)

Thank you for your answer.

It's not a very famous tune, and the publishers replied already.

But I'd like to make sure that I understand how this goes. Could someone be so kind as to shed light on this matter, please?

We'll need a synch and a recording license, the "showing" license being incorporated into these two. I'd need this info:

-should both types of licenses be requested from the authors?
-should both be requested from the company owning the recording as well?
-should both be requested from the performer, too?

Thank you very much in advance. :)

You should really contact an entertainment attorney. You'll get good answers and bad answers here, but the only person whose opinion can be relied upon is someone who does song clearances for a living.

Back