• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Which iMac?

Hello all you lovely people!

I had a quick look on the search and found some useful things but nothing relating specifically to my question which is simply... Which iMac do i buy?

I've just started doing more freelance work and am looking to get an editing system that will be able to handle a fairly steady workload but i'm not really an 'editor' so i really just want something that i can hone my FCP and AE skills and maybe build a few basic websites and such with.

I had a little internal debate about whether to get a macbook or an iMac but decided that the desktop unit would probably suit my needs more appropriately (unless you disagree).

So i'm not really looking to spend more than £1400 and have very little knowledge of what impact the different specs will actually have on my workflow so some help would be much appreciated. I almost nailed it down to between the:

Apple iMac Core i3 3.2 GHz
3.2GHz Intel Core i3 Processor – 4GB Memory DDR3 (2x2GB) – 1TB hard drive1 – 8x double-layer SuperDrive – ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512MB Graphics – 2560-by-1440 resolution…
£1386

and

Apple iMac Core i3 3.2 GHz
3.20GHz Intel Core i3 – 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB – 1TB Serial ATA Drive – ATI Radeon HD 5670 512MB GDDR3 SDRAM – 8x double-layer SuperDrive – Apple Wireless…
£1245

So as i said,i don't know much about this. Would there be a vast improvement in the first one to the 2nd for my £141 or would i be better getting the cheaper machine and spending the money on more ram? OR should i be looking at a different machine all together? Would the cheapest iMac do the trick? Do i need the most expensive? And most finally, is there any upgrades that i simply must have?

Sorry for the rambling, long winded nature of this post but all help will be HUGELY appreciated!

Cheers,
Jonny

chilipie,

I'm giggling over here. Two posts in a row, both of us saying
almost the same thing and just about the same time. Maybe
us Mas users are still ALL BRAINWASHED bollocks.

But it's pretty clear that PC users are catching up. It seems
to really bother PC users that there are those out there who
prefer a different machine.

The Reality Distortion Field™ has done its job :lol:

You're right, 'Rik; it always turns into the Mac vs. PC debate.

corpustle - The iMacs are very nice, my family has been through several.

My thinking has always been to get the most powerful and most open-ended system I could afford. That implies modularity, and that always leads me to the Mac Pro towers; I need to open-endedness to add ports and cards as I upgrade my studio - audio post is still very hardware dependent, even if it is "only" adding processing cards to the computer.

I mention all of this as you say that you are doing more freelance work which means that you are now a professional running a business; you need to think about not just your current situation but also your future needs. So think it all through carefully.

One more thought... If and when the economy turns around I am very seriously considering leasing my computer and other hardware when I do my next major upgrade.

And my final (and constant) reminder - Opinions are like assholes; everybody has one, and they all stink!

Oh, sweet, we're having the PC vs. Mac debate. This one's my favorite.

First of all, neither system is better. I think we can at least all agree on that. That being said, I often hear the words "personal preference" used during this debate. In my opinion, personal preference has nothing to do with it. For me, there are two real issues that are worth addressing.

Compatibility issues are a real problem. Any PC user who tries to deny this is a lieing liar. For ease of use, in this respect, there's simply no denying that a Mac is the preferable choice.

However, if you have a limited amount of money to spend, there's no question that with your set budget, you will definitely get a PC that is far superior to any Mac, spending the same amount of money. This is why I use PC. If I had enough money to get whatever computer I want, I would consider a Mac, for sure. But when I had $800 in my hand, and I was looking at my options, with $800 as a maximum budget -- hmm, should I get the low-level Mac, or the PC that is 200% more powerful?

So, all that being said, to the OP, I do think it is at least worth exploring your options, for PC. If you decide you want Mac, after all, I'm sure you'd have a very valid reason, as there have been listed some very valid reasons to go with Mac, in this thread. I'm just saying it doesn't hurt to look. You can get a pretty sweet PC built for the amount of money you've budgeted.

don't understand how using more expensive, inferior hardware can be justified because it 'enhances workflow' or 'makes you happier'.
It's sometimes difficult to understand when people feel differently
than you do. And I respect that you feel my entire post production
choice is inferior. I have never found it to be. But you would know
better because I have never worked in the PC/Windows environment
and you have experience with both.

You'll never understand and I am not trying to change your mind; only
offer my opinion. My current work flow and the work flow of every one
I work with is Mac based. Inferior? Maybe. More expensive? Yes. But I
managed to justify my choice based on my needs. I can't justify it to
you, but then you aren't spending MY money for my work flow.

I'm glad you love what you work with. I sure enjoy working with my
more expensive, inferior hardware.

First of all, neither system is better. I think we can at least all agree on that.
But we can't. That's always been the issue. There are those who deeply
believe that Apple is inferior. and can't understand why any one would
choose more expensive, inferior hardware.

Last edited:
Ah, directorik, I understand your point, and that's a fair thing for you to say. Some of the anti-Mac arguments that have been made have bordered on the elitist side. I think it's possible that we might be talking apples and oranges here, though.

I'm not sure that comparing your post production studio with the purchase the OP is considering is really a valid comparison. The reason I feel this way is because you're a professional. Your ability to do your job depends on the quality of equipment, so forgive me for assuming, but my instincts tell me that when it came time to make the purchase, you were willing to spend however much you needed to, to get the system you wanted. I'm not implying that you're working with limitless amounts of money, I just mean that I doubt you made any comprimises on getting what you wanted.

That's not the same scenario that the OP is looking at. The OP has £1400 to spend, and that's it. So, for the OP it's not a question of which system do I want, but which system will be best, on my limited budget.

The two computers the OP is considering are pretty much identical to the PC I'm working with. But I got my PC for $800 (WAY less than £1400). I'm not suggesting the OP get my computer, just to save money. What I'm suggesting is that the OP at least take a look to see what kind of PC you can get for £1400, and I assure you, it will blow the living hell out of those Macs being considered.

So, overrall, PC is not better than Mac. Comparing a PC to an equivalent Mac, one could even argue that the Mac is better, in some ways. But if you compare the PC that can be purchased for £1400 to the Mac that can be purchased for £1400, in this particular instance, PC wins, hands-down, not even a competition.

Again, there are many reasons to stick with Mac, and no, I don't believe either chilipie or directorik to be a brainwashed Machead. All I'm saying is that the OP should at least explore the PC options. And maybe Mac will still be the purchase of choice, and that's fine. But one should know what else is out there.

EDIT: I just worked through a PC configurator, from my favorite company, and here's what I got, for $1800 (£1400):

Intel® Core™ i7-950 3.06 GHz
1.5TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
2TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
12GB (4GBx3) DDR3/1333MHz Triple Channel Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 1GB 16X PCI Express
22" Widescreen 1920x1080 Sceptre X226W 5ms (Viewable 21.5 inch) LCD
Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Logitech Z313 2.1 DT speaker

Last edited:
Well first of all i'd like to say thank you to everyone for all the advice. Secondly i'd like to apologise for staring up the ol' Mac vs PC war.

The compatibility is a pretty major issue i must admit as most of the guys i'm regularly working with edit on Mac's and i think being able to drop right in there would be a big advantage and FCP is what i'm used to working on now and what i like. I used to use a PC and avid but it really used to piss me off, i couldn't even tell you why... we just didn't get along.

All this being said my eyes are opening to the world of PC as the spec you listed there Cracker is pretty impressive although i would need someone to build this for me so i'd have to take the price of that into account as well. However, i was wondering. Do i need a machine that powerful?

I don't edit loads, i mainly cam assist and grip/ assist grip on paid projects as i'm starting out and leave the post work to the pro's. However, i'm capable enough at everything else to tide myself over job to job by taking small corporate jobs and going solo on it/ working with my partner. This means editing more but not hugely labour intensive projects.
That being said i'm also currently directing a web series in my spare time which i'm also doing the AE work on so i need a machine that can handle that comfortably. I was kind of under the impression i wouldn't need a massively powerful machine to do this with.

Which i suppose leads me on to the scenario where i could be spending £800 on a PC with adequate spec for my needs.... Jeez... what to do!

While i'm here i may as well ask the Mac guys their opinion on MacBookPro's and whether or not it would be a good route. The only reason i bring this up now is the bonus of being able to DIT the footage on location especially now that a lot of things i'm working on are DSLR based.

Just to add one more element to this discussion.

For me the issue is not about the box itself, but the OS and the software that resides in the box.

A minor sideline for me is setting up and troubleshooting home recording systems for wannabe musicians. For the most part Macs tend to be "plug-and-play".

Mac - I go to the client, connect the hardware, fire up the Mac, install the software, open up the software, configure and they are up and running.

PC - I go to the client, connect the hardware, fire up the PC, install the software, open up the software, and then spend hours tracking down conflicts.

THAT is the reason I go with a Mac; I don't want to spend the time to build, I don't have the time to track down software conflicts; I just don't want to f-ing worry about it - I want to get to work! As a businessman time = $$$, so saving all of that time setting up and troubleshooting means I'm earning money right away, so the extra few dollars on the cost of a Mac is recouped very quickly. It also keeps me compatible with the big "houses" I work with.

corpustle, the PC I have, and the Macs you're considering, are just about the bare minimum required to be able to edit footage. My computer handles the footage, but not effortlessly. I do sometimes wish I had something more powerful. Oh, and the price I showed included assembly, and unlimited free lifetime telephone tech-support.

Also, like you, I'm not particularly a fan of Avid. I love Premiere, though.

Alcove, those reasons make perfect sense to go with Mac. This isn't a black/white issue -- there are many reasons to go one way or the other.

I'm not sure that comparing your post production studio with the purchase the OP is considering is really a valid comparison. The reason I feel this way is because you're a professional.
I agree. Which is why I also added that when I was just starting I
wanted to learn Final Cut. So spending more money for a Mac was a
better deal for me than spending less on a PC. And that happened
long before I made any money as an editor.

I had a set amount to spend. And I knew I could get more for that
money with a PC. But I wanted to learn Final Cut so I purchased a
machine that didn’t have the half the tech specs. It was best for
me even on my limited budget.

While i'm here i may as well ask the Mac guys their opinion on MacBookPro's and whether or not it would be a good route. The only reason i bring this up now is the bonus of being able to DIT the footage on location especially now that a lot of things i'm working on are DSLR based.
I edit on a MacbookPro. I haven't worked with the DSLR files on it.
But it's fine even for HD.

Ah, directorik, I understand your point, and that's a fair thing for you to say. Some of the anti-Mac arguments that have been made have bordered on the elitist side. I think it's possible that we might be talking apples and oranges here, though.

I'm not sure that comparing your post production studio with the purchase the OP is considering is really a valid comparison. The reason I feel this way is because you're a professional. Your ability to do your job depends on the quality of equipment, so forgive me for assuming, but my instincts tell me that when it came time to make the purchase, you were willing to spend however much you needed to, to get the system you wanted. I'm not implying that you're working with limitless amounts of money, I just mean that I doubt you made any comprimises on getting what you wanted.

That's not the same scenario that the OP is looking at. The OP has £1400 to spend, and that's it. So, for the OP it's not a question of which system do I want, but which system will be best, on my limited budget.

The two computers the OP is considering are pretty much identical to the PC I'm working with. But I got my PC for $800 (WAY less than £1400). I'm not suggesting the OP get my computer, just to save money. What I'm suggesting is that the OP at least take a look to see what kind of PC you can get for £1400, and I assure you, it will blow the living hell out of those Macs being considered.

So, overrall, PC is not better than Mac. Comparing a PC to an equivalent Mac, one could even argue that the Mac is better, in some ways. But if you compare the PC that can be purchased for £1400 to the Mac that can be purchased for £1400, in this particular instance, PC wins, hands-down, not even a competition.

Again, there are many reasons to stick with Mac, and no, I don't believe either chilipie or directorik to be a brainwashed Machead. All I'm saying is that the OP should at least explore the PC options. And maybe Mac will still be the purchase of choice, and that's fine. But one should know what else is out there.

This makes a lot of sense.

OP, if editing on a Mac is going to save you a ton of time and effort , then as long as you have money to burn you can probably justify getting a Mac. Just be aware that pound for pound, a PC blows a Mac out of the water and it's not anywhere near to being close.

I edit on a MacbookPro. I haven't worked with the DSLR files on it.
But it's fine even for HD.
I've edited DSLR files on a (getting on for four years old) MacBook Pro and had no problems. The newer models seem to be very popular for DITs, both when dealing with DSLRs and RED.

OP, if editing on a Mac is going to save you a ton of time and effort , then as long as you have money to burn you can probably justify getting a Mac. Just be aware that pound for pound, a PC blows a Mac out of the water and it's not anywhere near to being close.

Read this: http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Is-The-Apple-Tax-Real-Mac-vs-PC-Pricing-Compared/?page=1

"In the end, we found each Apple machine to cost more than a similarly equipped PC counterpart, with the baseline Mac Pro being the exception. Usually the delta is around $50 to $150, and even that can be mitigated by using an educational discount or otherwise finding a deal from one of the many Mac e-tailers out there."

(Your example in particular was comparing a normal desktop with an all-in-one - apples and oranges, really.)

I used to be a strong PC person, I thought that macs were overpriced pieces of junk. When I sucked it up and bought a Macbook, I realized how wrong I was. With my PC the fan would get loud, it would heat up, and I'd get viruses. Now while Mac isn't without it's viruses, your less prone. Also I believe the interface is much more sleek and accessible. Pretty much either of the iMacs will do for video editing, they will both run final cut fine. A lot of people in this thread are saying max out a PC for cheaper, and I used to feel the same way about my Asus laptop that was 300 cheaper than my Macbook, but the switch to Mac is worth it. Those who say it isn't, haven't spent enough time on the OS.

So it doesn't matter which iMac you buy, both will run it fine I'd suggest just going a bit cheaper and buying the 21 inch, it's still huge.

Back