• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

which frame to color?

This is something I've never really asked because it seems like it's personal preference and the method is therefore dependent upon the user, but I want to see how you guys do it.

Let's say you have a clip that you want to color correct. In this clip the subject moves through the frame quite a bit, closer to the camera, left, right, etc. Do I correct the clip based on the frame that I feel is the most representative of the whole clip, or do I attempt a basic correction on one frame and then see how that looks when scrubbing through the rest of the clip (re-correcting to find the best average grade)?

None of the above.

Keyframe it.

Correct/grade for the exact moment. Each exact moment. If that moment changes, change your grade for the next moment. Something moves that requires tracking, track it. If that object needs a separate grade from the rest, grade each part separately.

It's not coming down to personal preference. There are many ways to skin a cat just as there was many ways to correct/grade a film. The important thing is to have the right look at all times. The methods you suggested will cause the grade to deviate away from what you want in every point of the way.

Is this hard work? Sometimes, yes. Just like it's easier for a camera man to keep the camera static instead of tracking the actor that walks out of frame. It's just part of the job.

None of the above.

Keyframe it.

Correct/grade for the exact moment. Each exact moment. If that moment changes, change your grade for the next moment. Something moves that requires tracking, track it. If that object needs a separate grade from the rest, grade each part separately.

I'd never even considered that...it'll definitely take some time to get decent with that haha. Thank you for the guidance!

Back