Which Festival is better starting

so i have a film and was wondering which festival or festivals do i start, one thing i noticed is that
Tropfest says that to be submitted it has to be the first festival you submit to, but Cannes says if your film has been in any international festivals or anyway online then you can submit, what about other festivals
thanks

Festivals like Tropfest the film is meant to have been specifically made for the festival.

The way you have worded (and please take no offense) I would say start with something a little more local, something without an international audience.

The reason a lot of larger festivals require (or take preference over) national or even international premieres is because it means people will come to see it. If it can be viewed on the Internet for free why would they come? Or if its been shown at other smaller festival that is cheaper or free, why see it again at another place. Having it a premiere makes it much more exclusive.

To enter festivals costs a lot of money, so make sure you do a little bit of research into any festival you enter to see what the competition is like, make sure your film actually fits all the requirements. And make sure it is worth it. If there's decent competition, and you're not going to be able to attend and little prize incentive, then there is little point in entering. But if you can go and network or you think you stand a good chance against the other films and the prize is good then go ahead. But entering 5 $30 costing festivals sure ads up, and the more 'prestigious' the festival, the more it is likely to cost to enter.

In your area there is the Byron Bay Film Festival and Flickerfest. They are two of the bigger ones. There will be much smaller ones. In Victoria there is the Melbourne International film festival and the St Kilda film festival among other small ones which I have previously entered.

Check out withoutabox.com for the biggest range of festivals

thanks for that insight, i know that the way i worded wasn't very good.
my question was if i enter into 1 can i enter into another ?
also have you heard of inthebin festival?

thanks for that insight, i know that the way i worded wasn't very good.
my question was if i enter into 1 can i enter into another ?
also have you heard of inthebin festival?

Yes you can enter it into as many as you like. But if you get accepted into one, any festival that requires a Premiere you will then need to notify them of this.

No I haven't but I just searched it up. It looks ok, the entry fee is always something to look out for

I agree with Mile -- find fests that are close to you, and that you are likely to actually attend. Film fests are mostly about fun, and if you're able to use a fest to network with people, it kinda makes sense to network with people who are geographically near you. Good luck! :)

Back