Which camera should I buy?

I'm not purchasing a camera. But remember when we used to get a new thread, with this at the title, practically on a daily basis?

For those who might be considering their first camera purchase, what's the current advice? Are we still recommending mid-level DSLR or EVIL cameras? Or is Black Magic the new hot shit?

I haven't done a ton of research, but if I were in the market, I'd first look into the pros/cons of the Black Magic Pocket cam. Agree/Disagree?

Personally, because I don't aspire to be a camera operator or cinematographer, I'm perfectly happy with my Samsung Galaxy S7. Every time I record video on it, I'm floored by the quality achieved by a fucking smartphone.

But what if I were a trust-fund baby who wanted an actual camera? What if I were an aspiring DP? What are my first options?

:lol:

No, he scratched and painted filmstrips. (And mutulated it with chemicals)
The Etch-a-Sketch is the toy version of that ;)

Indeed. If only he had looked at the progression of his scratches on each film frame and guided them into some sort of animation, then it would have actually been interesting. I sat through about a dozen of those scratch films some years ago in Austin, TX. He was in attendance. I think half the audience walked out by the time the lights went up. It was at least amusing to see one short scene with Burroughs letting a balloon fly away.

Back