• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Where to get ideas for a film?

Hi I'm new here. I just did a search on the topic of where to get ideas for stories that can be made into a film and didn't really see any threads that addressed this so I thought I'd start one.

I have a lot of production experience and feel like I could write scripts easily. My problem is that I can't seem to come up with any ideas worth developing into a script. I'm talking more about fictional stories... I know I could make a documentary but that doesn't appeal to me right now.

Can anyone here suggest methods or techniques that you have used to come up with script ideas? Are there any good websites or books that can help?

I used to have an imagination... but old age and living in a rut has caused it to stagnate I guess. It just needs a jump-start.

Also although some may not agree with me. I sometimes pop an interesting idea in my dreams. Usually it's just rubbish that doesn't make sense, make if you try to put the sense into it, it may become a solid idea.

Back