• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Where to find free music?

Super basic question :P

What music is free to use for festivals or my own projects that may or may not make money,
and where/how can I find as much of it as possible?

Thanks

What music is free to use for festivals or my own projects that may or may not make money,

Thanks
Hi, I'm Joe.
i'm in a band called Twisted Revolution. Here is a link to the soundcloud. Have a listen, if you like it , I can send you the full EP.
If you'd like to use it just drop us an email and we can sort it out.

https://soundcloud.com/twisted-revolution-1

twistedrevolution@outlook.com

I'm a composer and songwriter studying Music Production at university in Manchester, UK. I would love to help out and write you some music in exchange for credits to help build my portfolio!

Some examples of my work can be found up on my website: joefirthmusic.com

I am quite flexible in genre, let me know if you would like anything!

All the best
Joe

Take That - Performance Rights

Hi folks, I'm new to this forum. Hope you're doing great. I saw this thread and went straight to it...basically I want to use "Take Five" (a jazz recording first performed in 1959 by The Dave Brubeck Quartet) on three occasions throughout a 20min short I'm writing. I have two questions about this - (1) since the original recording company doesnt exist anymore, to whom do I turn to seek a buy-out licence for the use of? And (2) does anyone know roughly (either UK or US) how much one track buy-out would or should cost? Thanks loads. :)

I'm a composer and songwriter studying Music Production at university in Manchester, UK. I would love to help out and write you some music in exchange for credits to help build my portfolio!

Some examples of my work can be found up on my website: joefirthmusic.com

I am quite flexible in genre, let me know if you would like anything!

All the best
Joe
Hey Joe - love "Six Feet From Stardom" - let me know what genres you can write for film dude - I'm writing about a film a month with my production company Red Mosquito at the moment - if you're interested let me know. Cheers, Nick.

Talk to musicians in your area and ask them for permission to use their music in exchange for a credit and thanks. I've had a lot of success doing that.

Definitely true. Just look for music you want to use on Youtube. A lot of composers on there (like me) will give permission to use their music for credits in a lot of situations. Same goes for just using Google and searching for the kind of music you'd like.

If you're into horror btw, you're free to use my work in the same fashion: Horror music

Thanks

Hi there! Here's a link to my soundcloud where you can find a few samples of my work. There's plenty of different styles so see what suits you. I hope you like what you hear!

If you like a track, or if you'd like me to compose/adapt something new for your next project, please email or PM me and we can work on something.

Let me know! :)

TMB

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey my name is Meshach and I'm with an independent record label named Canyon Entertainment Group. We have artists whose music you can use absolutely free. Just message me and we can discuss.

I would recommend that you check out Bandcamp. There's ton's of independent artists on there that you could get ahold of. Some people even say in their bio that people are free to use their music just as long as you credit them. That depends though, some artists reserve the rights, but you probably have a better shot negotiating rights with indie artists than signed artists. It's not like a creative commons library; you can find any genre under the sun, most of it being decent recording quality. Not to say that there is junk to search through... I mean, there is, not a lot, but there is- you'll find stuff like lofi hiphop and lofi garage rock, which you might not be appealing unless that's the sound your going for.

Back