Where do you hold your casting call?

Hey, I have a question for fellow no budget filmmakers. Where do you the casting for your actors? I don't mean where do you post an ad, I mean the physical casting. A studio, coffee shop?

I use a community hall in Central London. Within London space is at an absolute premium and Central London costs real money. However I have found a community hall slap bang in the middle of London in walking distance of the underground for nothing. In addition, one of London's 'out of town' stations is nearby meaning talent can come great distances very quickly and easily. It is my biggest asset because talent can come

In addition the location provides a Sony Z1 camera on a Manfrotto tripod with an NTG 1 mic and lighting for castings!!!!! This means a couple of actors have mistaken us for professionals!!!!! Little do they know we are just a bunch of clueless amateurs!

Hey, I have a question for fellow no budget filmmakers. Where do you the casting for your actors? I don't mean where do you post an ad, I mean the physical casting. A studio, coffee shop?

You can do video auditions if you're have problems finding somewhere to audition them.
I do it at my work (a Pub) in the conference room.

Thanks,

Johnny McCaffery

Last edited by a moderator:

I haven't done any casting YET, but when I do I'll probably rent an office. There's a guy in San Diego that has nicely decorated offices, small studios, and conference rooms for $8-15/hour and he caters to the film community.

I have his card somewhere, maybe he knows a similar person in LA if you're interested, PM me.

Cheers

I've just started making calls to local libraries and so far I've encountered reactions along these lines "Oh... I don't know about that... I don't think so."

I've always been friendly, professional, and up front about what my intentions are and acknowledge that it's in a library so I understand the need for courtesy for the library. I'm just curious what approach everyone here takes when they reach out to libraries.

I'll be honest, I've only contacted a couple, but got discouraged quickly, so I thought I'd come on here and ask if there's something I need to mention, or have I just encountered some non-film-friendly libraries?

I think you encountered some non-film-friendly libraries. Not knowing where you are in New England, I can only give some vague suggestions. Some communities are a lot more film friendly than others. Also, the nature of the film can be a problem. There are a lot of non-profits that might assist from YMCAs to clubs to church organizations. You might want to contact your mayor or equivalent. There could be some vacant building or office space.

I think you encountered some non-film-friendly libraries. Not knowing where you are in New England, I can only give some vague suggestions. Some communities are a lot more film friendly than others. Also, the nature of the film can be a problem. There are a lot of non-profits that might assist from YMCAs to clubs to church organizations. You might want to contact your mayor or equivalent. There could be some vacant building or office space.

I'm in North Attleboro, and I know we've got a pretty nice YMCA so I may check with them. Thanks for the suggestions!

I used a 80-seat screening room. The Actors appreciated the fact that I ran everything in commercial spaces instead of a private residence. For piece of mind, I also sent out a Google Map & Street View of the building. When casting female actors, one of the first words out of my mouth was that this is a fully-clothed role. Again, smiles all around.

Some fittings were done at my apartment by the Wardrobe Dept (my GF), but I worked in the kitchen until I was summoned to make a choice.

I've rented a small conference room at a local hotel on several occasions. Runs me $50-100 for the weekend, and I post someone outside the door in the hallway with checkin lists, etc. The first time I did it this way, I was complimented by numerous actors who came to audition on how professional and smoothly the auditions were run.

I've just started making calls to local libraries and so far I've encountered reactions along these lines "Oh... I don't know about that... I don't think so."

I'm surprised... Libraries are funded by the residents of the community, and they're there to provide a service, which includes books for loan and frequently space for residents to use.

Honestly, if your auditions weren't going to include shouting or any such things that might actually be distracting in a library, I would simply tell them you want to hold a meeting there. Technically, that's what it is, just meeting with multiple different people one at a time. Perhaps call them interviews, or something else.

I really don't get why a person whose salary you're paying is ready to dismiss an entirely legitimate use a publicly accessible meeting room...

We make frequent use of the libraries resources here; it's central, public, quiet and clean. Our downtown branch has a 300 seat theatre which we've also used before. In our case, I've explicitly told them what we're doing, and gone so far as to indicate that people from out of town will be arriving and they've offered to still validate their parking, something normally only residents get.

CraigL

I'm surprised... Libraries are funded by the residents of the community, and they're there to provide a service, which includes books for loan and frequently space for residents to use.

Honestly, if your auditions weren't going to include shouting or any such things that might actually be distracting in a library, I would simply tell them you want to hold a meeting there. Technically, that's what it is, just meeting with multiple different people one at a time. Perhaps call them interviews, or something else.

I really don't get why a person whose salary you're paying is ready to dismiss an entirely legitimate use a publicly accessible meeting room...

We make frequent use of the libraries resources here; it's central, public, quiet and clean. Our downtown branch has a 300 seat theatre which we've also used before. In our case, I've explicitly told them what we're doing, and gone so far as to indicate that people from out of town will be arriving and they've offered to still validate their parking, something normally only residents get.

CraigL

I was surprised too. I was excited when I read the suggestion to use the library, since others have posted on here that they use the library... only to be met with resistance when I called. Talk about a buzz kill.

I've thought about calling hotels with meeting rooms, but I'd rather save the $ by going the library/community center route if possible. Plus I'm afraid of what hotels around here might charge. Guess I won't know til I ask.

I'm still very much a newbie, and I'm learning that this is the part of the process I don't like. Oh well, gotta go through it to get to the good stuff I guess. :)

I held a casting call at my local library without problems. I would suggest going to the library and asking in person (it's harder to turn someone down in front of their face haha). In fact, I don't know if it was my boyish charm ;) or what, but the lady was very eager to help me - she was asking about the script and the locations. She ended up waiving the $70 fee just for me, and the library worked out great! Going face to face with the people was how I got awesome locations for free too! People are very flaky when it's just phone calls and emails. So practice those puppy dog eyes!

I held a casting call at my local library without problems. I would suggest going to the library and asking in person (it's harder to turn someone down in front of their face haha). In fact, I don't know if it was my boyish charm ;) or what, but the lady was very eager to help me - she was asking about the script and the locations. She ended up waiving the $70 fee just for me, and the library worked out great! Going face to face with the people was how I got awesome locations for free too! People are very flaky when it's just phone calls and emails. So practice those puppy dog eyes!

Y'know, I never considered the difference between phone calls and dropping by in person. That might make all the difference in the world. Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm glad I resurrected this thread. :)

Back