Where do you Go to Hire a Crew, Actors, and Location Scout

I realize there are many many many ways to answers this question, but I was wondering more in general. Like where would I go to even find a DP, decent actors, location scouts etc. I'm planning on raising money to produce/direct my first feature and don't need a big crew at all. Just the essential basics. What would you guys suggest?

My budget would probably be 10-30,000$ when I raise enough at some point lol

You do your research. The obvious are Mandy, CraigsList and Production Hub plus whatever regional listings there may be (as an example NewEnglandFilm.com is a regional resource for me). Then you scour FaceBook, LinkedIn and similar sites. After that you comb through the credits of indie films (shorts and features) you liked for actors, etc. And, of course, there are the recommendations of people with whom you have worked on other projects. And don't forget folks here on IndieTalk and other filmmakers sites.

$10k to $30k is going to pay for equipment rentals/purchases, permits & other required documentation, travel & food, and perhaps two or three talented crew members, a token payment to the visual and audio editors, and maybe something for the actors if you get the $30k budget.

Be realistic. Call it a 20 day shoot.

DP and PSM at $150/day each - $3k
Transportation for unpaid crew and cast - 10 x $25 = $250 x 20days = $5,000
2 meals & craft table for 15 - $100/day x 20days = $2,000

You're already at $10k. Figure on a token payment to the audio post editor of $2.5k (we'll assume that you are doing the visual editing). Add another $5k if you want a surround mix at a certified facility.

You're now at $12.5k ($17.5k with certified surround mix) and you haven't even done the equipment rentals/purchases, nor have you accounted anything for marketing.

I'm sure that everyone will quibble over how much gas money folks should get or how much meals and the craft table cost, but realistically a "no budget" feature is going to cost a minimum of $20k without marketing.

I'll actually be editing this myself. I've been editing for about 10-12 years now, so I'm not worried about that. It doesn't need special effects or anything so it's ok in that dept. To be honest here's the crew size I'm looking to have though.

-Producer
-Director (me)
-Location Scout
-Prop Master

-DP
-Gaffer
-2 Grips
-Boom Operator
-Sound Designer/Mixer

Last edited:
I'll actually be editing this myself. I've been editing for about 10-12 years now, so I'm not worried about that. It doesn't need special effects or anything so it's ok in that dept. To be honest here's the crew size I'm looking to have though.....

Okay, but at even minimum wage ($7.25/hr) for a 20 day shoot (10/hrs per day, no OT) that's $10,150 (I didn't pay the Producer or Director). I spend about 6 hours per linear minute doing audio post on a decently funded project, so 100 minute feature would be 600 hours. At minimum wage that's $4,350. So you're already at $15k.

And I did say:

we'll assume that you are doing the visual editing

You are short a few people that I'd be comfortable with having on your crew (especially if you have cast, extras etc) or at least have some of the less busy people filling other roles... but that all being said...

To get your crew Starnow.com is the only obvious one that I noticed was missing from the list (above) of where you can get people. Once you start getting your cast and crew together, most are in circles that have many other friends/colleagues they can suggest.

You can also try your local rags/trades if you don't need professionals to fill in your ranks.

Back