• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Where did you find your music for your film?

I'm curious where filmmakers found music for their films and how much some of it cost. Did you license ready made music or did you have someone custom write and record it. If custom made, how did you find them? How much time did they spend creating it and how much did you pay them?

I have a lifelong friend who's a musician who requested to do the soundtrack for "Showing Face"-she's doing it for free, and she has a "real" life as well, so it's taking a fair bit of time, but I'm not worried about it-it gets done when it gets done-she's a perfectionist so she wants to get it right.

Let's face it, it is super competitive out there, and there are plenty of places to find good music, and plenty of talented people to compose it. At http://rocksuresoundz.com we provide royalty-free music and sound effects, as well as making music custom for clients. We are just one such place in the midst of many, but at least our hat is in the ring so to speak :)

In today's market, I'd think you can find musicians looking to break in who would do a film for free. Of course, you may get something that is not as professional, polished, just depends.

I myself am in this boat, looking to take my music composition and get involved in an indie film project, composing background music, musical numbers, songs for soundtrack, etc., and I've been offering free services as a way to build a resume and make connections.

Ken
krm27@yahoo.com

In today's market, I'd think you can find musicians looking to break in who would do a film for free. Of course, you may get something that is not as professional, polished, just depends.

I myself am in this boat, looking to take my music composition and get involved in an indie film project, composing background music, musical numbers, songs for soundtrack, etc., and I've been offering free services as a way to build a resume and make connections.

Ken
krm27@yahoo.com

Welcome to IndieTalk Ken!

Also, agreed. There are plenty of hungry indie bands and composers out there that replace royalty-free music any day of the week!

Welcome :)

Back