• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Where could this idea go?

Hey guys,
I've been trying to find some decent material to adapt. Something that could work out with a low budget, and with young actors... probably an extended short film, like a 'medium-film', if that exists :P.

But, I thought that maybe being original would be a good idea. So, randomly this idea came up. A multi-plot story about 4 different teens, with nothing in common... that is, besides one minor detail. They are part of an online community... a social networking website. Four very different teens have their lives changed because of this site.

I'm not sure how I can expand this. I've been thinking about the site that they stick to... Facebook? MySpace? A blog? A forum? This basic concept seems alright to me, but I'm not sure if there's anything more to it. It might also be hard to relate the story to the site. So I think what I should do is replace the 'site' idea, but keep the characters. Any idea what to replace the 'social networking' thing with?

I'm very open-minded to new ideas, so please suggest anything. I haven't started writing anything about this yet... still brainstorming. Maybe I can replace the site with some other significant event... or a common society problem. Then, show how the teens' lives are all changed because of that.

You live in Hong Kong, so maybe you have these on late night tv? But it's always some sexy hot girl sitting there trying to get you to "call me" and "all my hot friends" at some dating hotline chatforum (?) for $2.99/min or something? I think it's several people on the same call?

Or a live chat room, I dunno, maybe on the internet because then you could add visuals too ...

Ot's not a unique idea, I've seen a few "crime show" versions, but basically something weird or sinister is going to happen, and members of the forum or chat room are thrown into a panic ... someone is going to kill themselves, or kill someone else, or it's a 'snuff film" or a victim going to be murdered live on the internet?

Anyway, that terrible event -- combined with the idea that it's a secret club, but maybe they're just strangers sharing a terrible secret -- and the innocent three or four have to save a suicide or stop a murder etc --

there are clues, there is a race against time, there is peril ... that's the basic idea.

You could use part of SoulCinema's idea and have 3 people and the only thing they have in common is that they all fall in love with one girl who works part time as a local late night chat operator. Each one eventually finds out that she lives in their town or goes to their college or however you want to spin it and they persue her in differant ways. Some could be genuinly in love and others could be alittle more creepy. Also all of the characters in love have to be guys. Just mix it up and figure it out from there. Hope this helps.

I had a similar idea to this but instead of a social network site it was an online game (ala world of warcraft). Havn't really developed it though since I am working on other things atm.

Thanks guys.
I like SoulCinema's idea of the people sharing a terrible secret.
I think it would be interesting if all the characters aren't related (don't meet with each other or know each other).

Also I'm thinking if I can relate some of society's biggest problems to this... though I'm not sure which ones would be best developed.

Hey guys,
I've been trying to find some decent material to adapt. Something that could work out with a low budget, and with young actors... probably an extended short film, like a 'medium-film', if that exists :P.

But, I thought that maybe being original would be a good idea. So, randomly this idea came up. A multi-plot story about 4 different teens, with nothing in common... that is, besides one minor detail. They are part of an online community... a social networking website. Four very different teens have their lives changed because of this site.

I'm not sure how I can expand this. I've been thinking about the site that they stick to... Facebook? MySpace? A blog? A forum? This basic concept seems alright to me, but I'm not sure if there's anything more to it. It might also be hard to relate the story to the site. So I think what I should do is replace the 'site' idea, but keep the characters. Any idea what to replace the 'social networking' thing with?

I'm very open-minded to new ideas, so please suggest anything. I haven't started writing anything about this yet... still brainstorming. Maybe I can replace the site with some other significant event... or a common society problem. Then, show how the teens' lives are all changed because of that.

Knowing 'who' the characters are should guide where the social network might be. If you have ideas of who these people are write a little back story and see what their issues are. That will at least omit what social networks won't work for your story.

A random blog, a bulliten posted. A troll who infests a thread they are all on. Maybe one of those Macy's card offers I used to get all the time, not using a card, some other odd advertisment intriguing them into the mess. An online treasure hunt of sorts maybe? That could pit them against one another.
Okay theres my brainstroming for the morning. I had fun here today. (I been sick :mope:)
:D
Margo

Back