Where are you selling the bulk of your DVDs?

I sell about 85% through Amazon and I'm looking for well-trafficked sites where some of you have had success. Again, I'm looking for YOUR experience and not just a list of 100 retailers. For instance, I was selling on FilmBaby and just severed ties because it wasn't generating any money. Where are you making your money?

Mike

It's not always about traffic, sometimes its more about marketing. You could have the best movie placed on the best site, but if nobody has ever heard about it why are they going to choose your movie over something everyones talking about, or has an underground buzz?

I've been talking to several filmmakers, and it seems like the best way to make money is selling your film at events in person. It's more personal, and people will be more supportive. But overall people like to rent before buying, so having your film on netflix or blockbuster.com is probably your best bet. My film "White Wall" just recently came out on netflix and blockbuster, so ill let you know if I start seeing some sales from it.

I've been talking to several filmmakers, and it seems like the best way to make money is selling your film at events in person. It's more personal, and people will be more supportive. But overall people like to rent before buying, so having your film on netflix or blockbuster.com is probably your best bet. My film "White Wall" just recently came out on netflix and blockbuster, so ill let you know if I start seeing some sales from it.

I would think selling at a booth (once in a while) would garner a lot less sales than a good distributor or a well-advertised web link. It's not often you go to comicons or conventions, so I wouldn't bank on that being the best seller.

If your distributor is worth a damn, they should be doing the legwork and making things happen (ie sales).

If you're self distributing, then it's up to you to get in on the major websites (Amazon, etc), on its own website or your companies website, and advertise and market it appropriately. Make sure you have appropriate keywords for websearch, and make sure it's easy and secure for people to purchase once they find it.

Also...I advice you have a solid poster or DVD art...it's very important in snagging sales. A shotty homemade photoshop job will turn people off on the jump...but if you get a good illustrator or designer to do your marketing material...you're halfway there.

Mr. Boss, I would be curious to find out if the exposure on Netflix will help or hurt DVD sales. My film is coming to Netflix soon (streaming only) but I've been opposed to letting them have the DVD for fear that sales will completely dry up.

Keep me posted -- I appreciate it.

Mike

Thunder--how did you get your film on Netflix Stream?

We have a distributor, and also just released on 15 or so cable on demand stations in the US and Canada...and we can't get on Netflix...

I believe you have control over how long you want it to stream on netflix? I've seen films come and go in a matter of weeks. I think streaming it will create two extremes. It will either hurt your film or help it greatly. If it's a really good film, people will buy it after watching it. If it is mediocre, it will ultimately hurt sales. I think impulse buyers usually buy things on the spot, just by judging the cover of your dvd. The problem with online purchases is that people will read what others have to say about your movie. It will deter possible customers who may actually like the film. This is kind of like that moment in poker, where you say "Im all in". There is a huge risk factor.

I think most will want to see the movie before buying. So I would think rental, festivals, and short term free streaming releases on the net may be good idea. Who would buy if no one has any idea who you are and who your actors are and never liked your past movies. Maybe if you have a really great trailer you may have a chance to sell the movie or rent it with out them watching it. I think as long as the film festival is not too expensive to watch the movie then you may have some viewers that like the film. For instance if they can watch a bunch of films for $20 or something. Then they may buy the dvd later if they liked it at the theature. Just my thoughts. I don't sell DVDs but I have bought them. If the price is not too high that helps too. If it is real expensive the movie better be really great and have a following. If you can some how get your movie aired on tv would be a good idea.

How about streaming the first 5 to ten minutes of the film for free to get people interest then charging to see the rest. I know they did that with 2012 on comcast on demand.

Last edited:
I make an extra $40-$50 a month selling on Amazon.com from DVD sales. Those are of my own titles I self distribute, not including any residuals I get from national/international sales of my feature HORRORS OF WAR via a distributor.

Back