• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

When I white balance at dusk, it goes green.

It's true. This is why greenscreen directors use dusk as a cheap way to get the results they want. I'd say use it, greenscreen the background and you will save yourself a fortune in VFX.

Man I was just screwing around. I thought dusk is part of magic hour, best lighting for photography not green lighting

During dusk everything is warm yellow, orange or even pink.
When you white that the wrong way you get a green color on everything that isn't direcly lit by the dusk color indeed.

When you use 'daylight' you get the dusk colors.

(Do you know the colorwheel with primary, secondary and tertiary colors?
Probably you've seen it in secondary school during drawing lessons. There you can see which colors are opposites.)

BTW,
is your computer monitor calibrated?
If not, you still don't see your footage the way it is.

I'm working on trying to get it properly calibrated. I am also working with a new DP, and he says that we have to white balance everything. I want to use my camera cause of shallow DOF, compared to his, but he says I have to white balance dusk, otherwise it will not be proper for color grading later. But if using daylight is okay, and I am not suppose to WB, then that's fine.

Last edited:
Trying to work on calibration?

Get a ColorSpyder and let it work for you.

I'm not saying you shouldn't white balance.
I said if you want the colors that dusk creates using daylight will give the warm orange/pink/yellow light in the sun.
(The shades are much cooler ofcourse.)
But you need to do it right. Everything greenish isn't really a good starting point to grade.

Back