• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

whats your process in FCP?

Hey just wondering how you guys use FCP. I import via "Log and Transfer" and do my edits. Now i have no idea how to "Export" the film. Can anyone help me? I would like to know you ideas. (=

I export the final movie differently depending
on my goal. Do you want to export it for a DVD?
Do you want export it to tape? Do you want to
export it to a .mov file? I'd be gal to help - what
do you want to do?

I would like to export two kinds. One to save on my computer via .mov. I want that to be the same quality it was recorded. The other is for the web. Such as YouTube and Facebook.

Easy enough.

Go to File>Export.

Choose Using QuickTime Conversion

For a QuickTime (.mov) file choose QuickTime Movie and click on "Options"

In the pull down menu "Compression Type" you have several options. You can use "none". Frankly the H.264 conversion is really good. You could try that at "best" quality to see if it's what you want.

For You Tube stay with QuickTime Movie in format. in the "Use" pull down menu you can use "LAN/internet" for a larger file or "Broadband - High" for a good, slightly smaller file. Try both to see what you like the best.

The main Export > Quicktime Movie will get you the full rez output at the same settings as your sequence.. in my case, 4x3 DV @ ~ 1Gb/10Min.

Export > Convert using Quicktime will give you good web output. I use the default LAN settings for large files and the next one down for the smaller files. Works like a champ and you don't have to leave Final cut to do it... although if you have a newer version, using compressor is also an option.

I often also dump out a full rez Quicktime using the first method above, then pull that into compressor to process the files into web versions while I do stuff in the foreground.

Back