What's your Dream Remake?

If it's a book adaptation, this book called Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton, the writer of Jurassic Park

Now, as for my remakes...

Having to be a film older than I am makes it tougher for me than it is for all of you young-uns......

Toothless20Old20Man.jpg

Okay, here we go; I would remake.

Key Largo. Originally Humphrey Bogart as a WWII vet visiting the father (Lionel Barrymore) and widow (Lauren Bacall) of his deceased war buddy at their Key Largo hotel. Gangsters (Edward G. Robinson & Co.) take over the hotel, which is then pummeled by a hurricane. Fairly simple to update - Afghanistan or Iraq instead of WWII, drugs instead of counterfeiting.

The Day the Earth Stood Still. (1951) I though that the 2008 remake relied too heavily on effects and not enough on the relationships and actual meaning of the story.

"Klaatu, barada, nikto."

Okay, I'm sort of skirting the rules with this one...

I, Robot. Yeah, the movie came out in 2004, but the short stories appeared on the 1940's, and the original collection as a novel using the Susan Calvin interview as the common thread came out in '52. Also, the 2004 movie used the names of the characters and little else from the novel. And I would also like to do the Lije Bailey - Daneel Olivaw novels, and perhaps the Foundation series. I'm an Asimov fan, as you might have guessed...

Really breaking the rules with:

The Robe. The 1953 movie miserably missed the scope and meaning of the novel. Unfortunately, this one can't be updated as it is based very specifically in history/religion.

Last edited:
A sequel has been in the works for years.

Dang, you're right. From Wikipedia;

"Almost from the moment Casablanca became a hit, talk began of producing a sequel. One titled Brazzaville (in the final scene, Renault recommends fleeing to that Free French-held city) was planned, but never produced. Since then, no studio has seriously considered filming a sequel or outright remake. François Truffaut refused an invitation to remake the film in 1974, citing its cult status among American students as his reason."

But apparently there is a screenplay for a sequel floating around the Warner Bros. offices somewhere...

True, but the argument could easily be made that there are no truly original films anymore. Plus, with the current climate in Hollywood, you are much more likely to get funding for a remake of a successful older film than a new one.

I completely agree with this. If you look back at the box office for original movies vs. remakes, you've got only one or two contenders for highest grossing film that isn't a remake/adaptation/rehash/sequel.

honestly idk about films but i do know what id like to remake..i watch a lot of anime and its a series called Welcome to NHK..in an episode this guy Sato and 4 other "friends" hop on a boat to a beautiful deserted island to spend their last day on earth before the commit suicide..id like to do a picture about 4 friends who make a suicide pact but each suicide is an extravagant over the top plan to create major headline news..so basically they wanna go out but they want to be remembered..so each one thinks of the craziest tv hoggish way to kill them selves..like for example..president obamas given a speech outside at times square..or whatever..one of the friends jumps from a building close to the event to land like smack dab in the middle of the crowd or some crazy stuff like that...

I have four or five movie concepts that I think can be done well on a TINY budget, and one of them just so happens to fit the requirements the OP laid out for us. One of the concepts I'm very seriously considering doing is essentially a remake of Hitchcock's Rear Window (though, of course, with enough of a twist that it would legally and artistically be my own movie, more of a "re-imagining"). :)

Back